HUGE knifefish caught in FL canal!!!

Robbwilder

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
South Florida
Louie;3046674; said:
They are still caught now at Lake Ida . Think the park is at Delray beach .My father in law goes there during winter but uses boat. PB there in same lake. Snakeheads also but think those are more in the canals that feed the lake.

I have never been there myself as few hours away .
Here is a link where FWC has been sampling south florida waterways for exotics. It gives the name and general area of the canals and lakes.

http://myfwc.com/docs/WildlifeHabitats/Nonnative_FW_ExoticFishStatus2007FloridaScientist.pdf

Knifefish is on page 7 - 8 of this PDF. Really interesting read.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
bumpylemon;3047074; said:
and you wonder why this bill is being introduced

I look at it this way. The canals are mostly man made to regulate water . S.Florida "soil" is mostly sand with coral rock few inches under the "soil" .

The water temp in those canals esp 6 months a year are so hot that no native sunfish or non PB could live in it. They dont even travel through it in summer its just that hot.

Exotics have filled an empty man made niche . I cant fathom cichlids in the slightest way taking a toll on natives. Lakes which are fed by canals you find big native bass living by the "connection" because they eat the cichlids.

I myself disdain the PC FWC . They will try to eradicate harmless fire mouths living in shallow 90 degree temp canal but refuse to regulate wild collecting of soft shell turtles or native green anoles,etc sold over seas .

I agree about snakeheads, pythons few others but vast majority of non natives here have filled an empty niche and if anything increase the revenue as fishermen/women come to fish the exotics.

Even the brown anole or Cuban trreefrog have filled the niche in the growing Miami cement "jungle" while the green natives could not live in that but were not displaced

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
he is so perfect ... i wonder if he is real.... i wonder if he put him back...you would think if he was just caught he would not be in that magnificient condition.. maybe its photoshopped.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Red Devil;3047737; said:
he is so perfect ... i wonder if he is real.... i wonder if he put him back...you would think if he was just caught he would not be in that magnificient condition.. maybe its photoshopped.

Yes he is amazing. When you lived in Florida did you catch any exotics in your area?

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Louie;3047755; said:
Yes he is amazing. When you lived in Florida did you catch any exotics in your area?
i never went fishing Louie...just boating...

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
you know theres a big fine for releasing those right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store