Hybrid fish

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hybrid fish always seem intriguing but doesn't seem like many people have them

If you have hybrid fish post your hybrid fish

also im curious if there is such a thing as silver dollar hybrids or piranha hybrids

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
A lot of the common silvers you see sold at a petsmart or whatever may be hybrids, but for the most part the serrasalmids don’t hybridize that much. Piranhas are hard enough to breed as is, and many will kill each other long before breeding.
Many other fish also don’t hybridize that much, they have to be really closely related to do so. An example is livebearers, where you find molly, guppy, and platy mixes often when they are together.
Then there’s the large group of fish I haven’t mentioned yet…cichlids. With mbunas and Central Americans, half the time you never can be sure they aren’t hybrids, specifically with Midas, devil, and trimac. Convicts will breed with just about anything. And then there are the 2 most famous hybrid cichlids. The blood parrot:
770BF746-D6C4-4350-A0FA-58CDBE6CF2E8.jpeg
And flowerhorns, which are known for huge nuchal humps, amazing colors, and unbridled aggression.
Both are largely amphilophus and Vieja, but no one is 100% sure what they are made out of.
Most hybrids are considered undesirable because they muddy up the gene pool, or simply don’t look nice.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Hybrid fish always seem intriguing but doesn't seem like many people have them

If you have hybrid fish post your hybrid fish
also im curious if there is such a thing as silver dollar hybrids or piranha hybrids
There are of course the BlackBerry silver dollars, said to be hybrids produced in Asia. I don’t pretend to know better than the rumors around, but they appear to be hybrids indeed. No known species of Myleus or Myloplus looks like that. Judging from the short adipose on blackberries, those are the genera they are likely to be in. From their appearance, my guess is that their hybridization included the thin bar (red finned) form regarded as Myloplus sp. ‘scomburgkii’, which is certainly different from the real M. schomburgkii (wide bar), and another species. Also, I have never heard of anybody who has bred them, and the rumors are they are not reproductively viable. Again, none of this is my first hand knowledge. I have not owned any and I generally don’t like man made hybrids.

Reactions: Deadeye

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
how would i go about setting up a silver dollar hybrid breeding project?
maybe like:
125 gallon aquarium
natural tannins
lots of plants
lots of spider wood
a few kinds of silver dollars

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
To my knowledge, silvers don’t breed easily for most aquarists. Mine always show breeding behavior but never any eggs.

Reactions: Bbuckley

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
or would it be better to try a hybrid cichlid project of some kind?
can silver dollars even hybridize?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
or would it be better to try a hybrid cichlid project of some kind?
can silver dollars even hybridize?
F FJB mentioned that there are hybrid silvers out there.
With cichlids, they either hybridize really easily (mbuna, peacock, Central Americans) or they don’t (African riverine, South Americans). Most hybrid cichlids except for flowerhorn, parrot, and the like are considered undesirable.
As a whole, there isn’t too much money in hybrid breeding because it’s either too hard or nobody wants them. There are exceptions though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store