Hybrid fish

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
I have avoided this thread, but figured it was time to add my 2 cents.
Although there are those that find hybrids interesting.
There are those of us that are interested in keeping species integrity.
Once you create a hybrid, they and all their progeny become mutts, and loose integrity as a species.
So to any of us that breed pure species, those progeny are useless as breeding stock, so worthless. (unless used as feeders)
You forgot about the important motivator for hybridization - money.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
No money from me.
there's enough beautiful, natural and rare species that one could never keep them all in a lifetime.
the concept of a doodle being worth more than a lab or poodle is absurd but a fool and their money are soon parted.

my take on hybrids is simply this "progress for the sake of progress, is not progress at all"

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I'm with CrazyPhishMan, as well as ScotCat, on this. Hybrids are pointless - we cannot improve on nature by making them.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Just look at the flowerhorn above. What exactly is that thing!!?
A prime example of why hybrids are bad, rivalled only by the likes of the blood parrot and similar.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I've had a few hybrids in the past. Some accidental some on purpose. The accidental ones were endler/guppies, 3 muppies and a mix of 2 different kirbensis varients, didn't know at the time that there were regional varients and accidently mixed 2 different regions together. The muppies we're a mix of endler, guppy and Molly. As for the purposeful ones those are mostly flowerhorns and a couple of red Texas, only have the one that I made the others were bought. Here's some pics of the muppies and my FH's, don't have any pics of the kirbensis hybrids as they didn't pan out all that well and as for the red texas they just don't like to sit still long enough for good pics. The pink FH is the one I made, her name is Star, while the red one was one that I bought as a FH x Trimac. Pretty sure she atleast had Kamfa as a base because I would've figured a FH x Trimac would've basically been a down graded FH but she turned out pretty nice looking honestly.

cameringo_20211114_194746.jpg

cameringo_20211107_231150.jpg

cameringo_20200203_223826.jpg

cameringo_20200203_223642.jpg

cameringo_20200203_223422.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
A prime example of why hybrids are bad, rivalled only by the likes of the blood parrot and similar.
Btw here's a couple pics of some wild hybrids I've caught just earlier this year. These hybrids are actually starting to out compete both of their parent species out in the pond I caught them from. They are hybrids between pumpkinseed sunfish and green sunfish. These hybrids also tend to grow faster and larger then either parent specie from what I've noticed.

Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying that what we're all doing this to try to improve on nature. Ik with me personally I just find 2 fish that I like the looks of, pair em together and see what I get. If I get something that I like, great, I get something cool to keep. If not, o well, the rest of the fish (or cats) get a tasty treat then. The only time where hybrids are generally detrimental to the hobby is when sold or traded improperly. As long as they are labeled as hybrids then it's up to the buyer to do as they please with em, atleast they know going into it then that it is a hybrid and not a pure specie.

So as my closing argument, I don't believe hybrids are bad perse but are only when sold or traded improperly. Also hybrids may not be as unnatural as most ppl think they are.

cameringo_20200611_210620.jpg

cameringo_20200601_214507.jpg

cameringo_20200522_195158.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store