Hybridizing Journal

I<3fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Don't ruin it with a parrot : ( add some festae or firemouth or even better, BOTH! : 0

oddball_freak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2007
O-Dub
I like festae's, but I would have to say... A Firemouth really??? They are one of my least favorite fish them and convicts rank about the same for me.

nycom2011

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2008
Brooklyn
WOw this thread is really informative...wonder what kind of setup you need to do a serious breeding attempt for quality FH...hmmm might be my second undertaking heheh..

fishfreak317

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
flowerhorncraze.com
nycom2011;2119062; said:
WOw this thread is really informative...wonder what kind of setup you need to do a serious breeding attempt for quality FH...hmmm might be my second undertaking heheh..
well i can only tell you from my own experiences.

you could do a couple of things to try this.

first one being. buy yourself the best of the best you can afford at the time. also you must keep in mind it is possible they can be infertile. with this option you might only need a few tanks. one big tankfor breeding, one for frys, one big tank for growouts, and a couple medium sized tanks for the slower growing frys you separate when sorting by sizes.

second way would be much more involved and require alot more space. in this way you need the above setup per individual pair of whatever you are crossing to create the flowerhorn of your dreams. anyone that goes this route will need a serious setup of aquariums, or tubs, or pools, or small ponds, or whatever. becasue with choosing this way you take the approach of a sorta reverse engineering idea of sorts. this way will also consume many years into development.

sorry jason, but i thought i would hook him up with that he wants to know. ;)

oddball_freak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2007
O-Dub
No problem. I haven't had any "action" on my thread in a while. I welcome it. Very formative info. Your right I have a 55, 2 20's a 30 and a 40 dedicated to just jagimac fry. I have 3 batches growing out.

Oh yeah I know its not a hybrid or anything, but my German Shepperd female is giving birth to her second liter of pups as I am typing this. I also have a pair of G. Sheps I breed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store