hypothetical stocking

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
hypothetically let's say i stocked a 125 (6'x1.5'x2') with ramshorn snails, mystery snails, and shrimp first, let the shrimp get their population stable, then guppies, let them get a stable population going, then ancistrus and then a pair of angels
now that comes with the questions i have about the stocking
would the shrimp get eaten by the guppies and angels? could they get wiped out even if they had a large enough population?
would the guppies get eaten or even wiped out by the angels if their population was stable enough?
would the shrimp still breed if they had enough hiding places once the guppies and angels are introduced?
would the plecos eat the angel's eggs in the event that they spawned?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’ve had a breeding pair of bristlenose and angelfish in the same tank. The bristlenose never had their eggs messed with solely because I gave them pleco breeding caves so no other fish could get to them. The angelfish always had their eggs gone over night or in 3 days max. I can’t directly say it was the bristlenose but I’d imagine they wouldn’t pass up eggs sonce they’re easy protein.

I could give my input on the shrimp, guppies, and angelfish but it would all be speculation as I haven’t done this before so I won’t unless you want me to.

I used to breed mystery snails for fun so I can tell you a few things about breeding them if you wish? I know how to sex them.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
yeah that'd be great, id love any information you have on the snails

Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I suppose I’ll start with sexing them. What you want to do is take one out of the water and flip him on his shell. Look to the left side of his foot. For a brief moment you should he able to see inside. If you see a long tentacle like appendage then that is a penis. It is a male. No appendage then it is a female. Mystery snails obviously require a male and female to breed so I’d recommend getting 3-6 to guarantee you get at least one pair.

Now, the tricky part about breding mystery snails is preventing them from killing their selves. They will crawl out of the water and lay their eggs somewhere where they find it to be just right. The humidity tends to determine this. I’ve found them to have laid eggs on the side of my hobs before back when my room had a humidity of around 70% (I do not recommend letting your room be that humid, developed upper respiratory bronchitis because of prolonged exposure to it). I have found so many dead snails that crawled out of the tank then fell or couldn’t get back in the tank because of their agg laying process. What I eventually did was covering every hole I found and making sire they could not get out. It helped in more than one way. First off they couldn’t get out and second off it raised the humidity in the tank which meant that the conditions inside the tank are more favorable for egg laying. I would drop the water level down about 3 inches for them.

When you see the eggs do not put them in the water. That will guarantee they don’t hatch. They need to be misted so they don’t dry out but not wet. Make sure to check on them somewhat often to make sure they haven’t dried out. If you lower the water level just the right amount and they’re near a filter then the splash from the water hitting the surface typically keeps them misted I find.

If you keep at it then eventually you’ll see tiny snails crawling around. Their shells aren’t thay hard so they can become food for other creatures. If you want to maximize the survivors then What I would do is get a styrofoam cup, fill it with tank water, get something that floats, put the floating thing in the cup, carefully remove the egg clutch (I find you can do it with your fingers very easily if you let them harden before attempting to move them), put the egg clutch on the floating thing, then tend to them as you would normally. They will hatch eventually and then go into the water where they aren’t in danger.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Thanks for the info
I knew about the whole egg incubation part but thanks for the help with sexing them
Also to change something in my original post
Would the stocking work out better if the angels were swapped out with discus or would that be worse

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Shrimp will slowly be maimed then picked off unless you had a plant and cave for them to escape to. Guppies will also be fine if you have some floating plants as a refuge for safety.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
oh yeah i forgot to mention this would have heavy plant cover for the guppies and shrimp

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
blue diamond cherries
neocaridina davidii
Honestly I would not put any shrimp smaller then an inch into a tank with Angels. I've tried Angels with ghostshrimp before and they were eaten every time. Now if you were to go with amano shrimp or bamboo shrimp that should work. It would also eliminate the chance of the shrimp going for any fry in the tank, as they are filter feeders instead of scavengers. Also for the Angels, I would recommend Amazon sword plants for breeding. It should curb the plecos from eating the eggs, as most don't like resting on movable surfaces, and it keeps the eggs off of the bottom so the majority of the snails should be able to kept at bay by the parents. I hope you find this helpful in someway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store