I don't know who I am!

Socalladylish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2006
Oceanside, CA
www.myspace.com
I'm not so good with the ID-ing of the fish....And I didn't really mind not know who this little one was until it started attempting to pick fights with the larger fish in my tank...It has completely destroyed the fins on 2 of my other smaller fish. I was thinking that maybe it was an Afra, but I don't really know...Any ideas?

BTW the fish that it's attacking is the Lombardi that's twice it's size in the second picture.

Oh yeah...And if anyone knows why my fish always hide when I try to take their picture that would be nice to know too.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Looks like a zebra to me

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
It's a yellow lab/red zebra hybrid.

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
Stop makeing bad guesses!:screwy: The fish in question is most definitely of the Melanochromis species. Need a clearer side shot to be able to tell which one it might be. The body is too slender to be that of a zebra. The male Melanochromis are quite aggressive fish, just look at Auratus, Chipokae or Johannii.:naughty: :ROFL: :headbang2 :nilly:

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
Honda12;912805; said:
It's a yellow lab/red zebra hybrid.
I agree with Honda on this one although it's hard to be 100% sure. It could be M. estherae.
It's mouth looks full and if it's hiding I would suspect the combination of the two to be for the fact that the fish is holding.

SinisterKisses

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2005
Scotty;920648; said:
Stop makeing bad guesses!:screwy: The fish in question is most definitely of the Melanochromis species. Need a clearer side shot to be able to tell which one it might be. The body is too slender to be that of a zebra. The male Melanochromis are quite aggressive fish, just look at Auratus, Chipokae or Johannii.:naughty: :ROFL: :headbang2 :nilly:
Practice what you preach ;)

That fish is in no way a Melanochromis. I would say a lab/zebra mix as well, but as already said, it could be a lesser-quality but pure estherae. Which is Metriaclima, not Melanochromis :p

smpage

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2007
Idaho Falls
I have nine of these. got 'em from my buddy who has a tankful of the fish labeled "african cichlids" at petsmart. this is what their fry came out looking like. some of the fry have a thin black line along the dorsal fin like the electric yellow but it's very faint. mine aren't to terribly aggresive. I have a 1 inch male who is best friends with my 8 inch bichir.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store