I GOT EGGS now what?

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
So the frys are all dead... I blame my lack of preparation a proper food for the frys.. But I see it as a learning experience. I actually have one fry left that i put in a breeding box in the main tank. I'll see if he survives but i don't have much hope. Next time i'll be more prepared (even though foodsource like baby brine shrimp is not easily obtained here)

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
So the frys are all dead... I blame my lack of preparation a proper food for the frys.. But I see it as a learning experience. I actually have one fry left that i put in a breeding box in the main tank. I'll see if he survives but i don't have much hope. Next time i'll be more prepared (even though foodsource like baby brine shrimp is not easily obtained here)
Sorry to hear that. It’s definitely not an easy task taking care of fry. Baby brine eggs can be sourced from amazon. Be sure to pickup aquarium salt as well so your all set for next time. They will probably be at it again soon and you’ll be more prepared next time.

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
I got eggs... Again 20191102_153954.jpg

This time i'm not planning to actively try to raise them. What i'll do differently this time is that i'll leave the parents do their job. I'm thinking about feeding them boil egg yolk when they are free swimming

My biggest concern : tank mates. That tank is home to 4 platys, 4 glass catfish, a rainbowshark, a siamese algae eater and a betta. And if i have to rehome i only have a 1 gallon plastic tub available....

So i'm gonna let nature run its course. If they survive that's awesome, otherwise i'm trying to not get to emotionally attached....

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
Woke up this morning with less eggs than yesterday so it probably got eaten at night. So I moved the leaf and eggs into a mesh box with an air stone for circulation. 20191103_174541.jpgPlant is plastic but I can always superglue it back later

Reactions: BigShawn

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
I GOT EGGS.....AGAIN
20200115_184635[1].jpg

After the first fiasco my angelfish pair spawn thrice but each time the eggs were eaten. This time I moved the eggs into a tupperware box. have an airstone under them. a foam filter is floating in another tank to get colonized by BB and most importantly, I got a heater and getting some hikari first bites (hatching fry food is not a practical solution right now)

We'll see how it goes this time around

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Please remove any bad eggs asap.
I learned this with my South American cichlid eggs, I was told if one egg goes bad and turns Whitt it would also turn any eggs it was touching so I hand a super fine pair of tweezers that I used to pick them out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store