I just bred arowana in my tank...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If this proves to be correct, this is astonishing! People tell me it's mighty rare that our silver arowana breed in our 4500 gal. To do it in a 180 gal is probably rarer by 1-2 orders of magnitude.

What I usually do is let the father mouth brood the babies for 5 weeks, then net the fish, open mouth, collect the babies and place them into a separate tank where they'd be alone. Drop the water in the tank to be very shallow, a few inches would suffice, this is so they run into the new feed you will be trying to wean them onto, floating the best, like freeze-dried bloodworms. They need to run into the new feed all the time to eventually slowly recognize it as edible. Otherwise, they will not take any new feed and die from hunger. Tried and true IME. (I've not tried live daphnia and other micro insects - too much work.)

The babies will have a yolk sack for a few weeks still.

The male usually spits out the babies after 6 week brooding.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They are arowana eggs all right. I don't understand why these were left out. This may be a bad sign, I mean that whatever was laid might not have been fertilized, meaning female was ripe but male wasn't. And were these 4 not eaten by tank mates??

Reactions: mattybecks

bqnqnqboat

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
They are arowana eggs all right. I don't understand why these were left out. This may be a bad sign, I mean that whatever was laid might not have been fertilized, meaning female was ripe but male wasn't. And were these 4 not eaten by tank mates??
Wife said there were a bunch more but the Oscar ate them. For some reason these 4 were left untouched.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

bqnqnqboat

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
So... I think the Albino is also carrying some broods. His mouth bloats up and he's not eating either. Occasionally he would gasp his mouth to cycle the broods. I think it makes more sense that the Albino is the real dad and the Black just had a misunderstanding? ?

This relationship is quite complicated...

20210920_190248.jpg

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Hi B bqnqnqboat , did your wife see the spawning or just the eggs on-bottom (and being oscared-up)?
According to thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter 's notes on sexual dimorphism, your albino's got the long ventrals suggesting that's your female. Did you see the eggs is his/her mouth with the gasp/yawn?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store