I just bred arowana in my tank...

bqnqnqboat

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
Wife saw the Silver sitting at the bottom of the tank frequently during that day. And the Silver is definitely not holding eggs since she's been try to bite other tank mates since. I haven't seen Albino & Black attack tank mates since, even though they are normally the more aggressive folks.

I haven't been able to see actual eggs inside either mouth though since they don't open them wide enough anymore. What I noticed is both of them are gasping/breathing by their mouth all the time now compare to others who can keep their mouth shut all day long. Those two used to be able to shut their mouth just fine.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I like Andy's line of thought. We need to figure out the sexes. Females will not mouth brood babies, my rookie understanding is. From the photos on the 1st page, the albino is a female. So, I'd not expect her to have anything in her mouth.

Please look at your albino and note that the extensions on the pelvic fins extend well past the anus. In males they do not reach or barely reach the anus. In my humble observations. Tell us the sexes of the black and standard silver, please, based on the extension length.

I am afraid no one is holding babies. The eggs were laid but not fertilized. Most eaten up by tank mates. A few left because those who ate the others got full. Arowana male would not leave fertilized eggs. Unfertilized, they would leave, I assume.

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Not on purpose, but I guess my silver aro just laid a bunch of eggs and guess what, the Black Aro is holding bunch of eggs in his mouth. Does that mean the Black aro is the father?

Wife witnessed a bunch of eggs at the bottom of the fish tank and thought I put carrots in the tank... I never put carrots in. By the time I went to the tank, there were only 4 eggs scattering I guess those are the goner since we have Datnoids & Oscar in the same tank.

View attachment 1473448

View attachment 1473449

View attachment 1473450
:thumbsup:
keep some for me, lol

bqnqnqboat

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
Well the 4 eggs didn't make it.

I suspect thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter is correct that no one is holding babies, although both Albino and Black are not eating, the Silver does.

Attached are side pics of each. I think the Silver anus looks quite different to the other 2. The Black looks like a male based on the pelvic fins theory.
Albino has very long Pelvic fins but mouth is a little plj. I read somewhere that only males have plj mouth for egg holding purposes.

20210921_185819.jpg

20210921_185823.jpg

20210921_185827.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Of course it may also be that the immature males have collected unfertilised eggs in their eagerness to become good parents and hence are not eating. Although not sure how long unfertilised eggs would last, so should expect to see them start again soon I would think if this were the case.

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
An egg tumbler made from an upside down 2l plastic soda bottle would be your best bet. It's pretty cool when this type of breeding occurs.. bare in mind not all hybrids result in offspring. I've seen diy egg tumblers that use only an air stone and said soda bottle, you might have luck using google or the search bar on MFK to find out more info. Good luck! and please keep us posted
Black arowana/silver arowana would be capable of being hybridized. They are VERY similar and from my understanding, more then genetically capable

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've not noted a PLJ = protruding lower jaw correlation between the arowana genders in our hands. Moreover, I've noted PLJ may come and go, which cannot be said for the genders, I hope.

The first two arowana in the pics above are female, I'd say, the third (silver?) pic is not friendly to a definitive answer on the pelvic fin extensions.

I've never had black arowana, so this is in question for me.

And again, my sexing technique has not been independently and firmly verified, if memory serves. We've only kept about 10 silver arowana to go by.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store