I just got a fish aquarium and my ammonia levels are high. What do I do??

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Nitrites= toxic
Nitrates= good in a minimum amount

reread thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter 's posts on here. They are very helpful.

Jim bean 20055

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2020
I agree with Jim. What he is dealing with is worthy of keeping the focus solely on cycling the tank and learning the ropes of it.

Nitrites of 2-4 ppm are deadly without detox. Make sure you are detoxifying them right.

Do the fish still feed? That'd be a good sign that you are doing it right.

You don't really need the nitrate (nitrAte) test. When your ammonia and nitrite are firmly at zero ppm for a while, like a week, without any changes in your tank (fish are fed and still feed), then you can say your tank's cycled. But as I wrote before, cycling is a live process, it constantly adjusts to everything that happens in a fish tank.

As an extra assurance and learning, testing for nitrAtes could help you indeed as the guys suggest above.

Also, you asked before how you'd know when the cycling is done and you were explained it, in this thread, I think at least 2-3 times. Please read and reread this thread if you remember that a question had already been posed and answered... otherwise you risk making it seem like you value your time and don't value ours. Just my 2 cents. We will still try to help you, one of us or another, but we as people have a nasty habit of overanalyzing the actions of others and underanalyzing our own and forgiving and excusing ourselves for what we don't forgive or excuse the others.
Ok, I reread all of the extremely useful information. I am sorry for being so ignorant. I'm sorry if it seems as if I do not value your time but I do!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Right, exactly as Mr. Enigma Wrapped in a Riddle says above. This has nothing to do with ignorance. And I understand it is easier to ask again than to look through 25 pages. So, no biggie.

What I am suggesting in a way is that a general rereading of important posts in this thread should help you absorb, digest, and retain the knowledge.

Jim bean 20055

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2020
update ammonia 0ppm. Nitrites still high and I don't know why.
Adding salt to my small aquarium.
5 gal about grams
there is a high amount of nitrites so like 3-4 ppm
3 ppm= 3 millionth
so 18,927/3 000 000
0.00639x100
.6309x2
So i add 1.2 grams of salt right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No your math is wrong. 3 ppm = parts per million parts = 3/1,000,000

So instead of multiplying by 3 you are dividing by 3, so you are too short by a factor of 9. 1.2 x 9 = 11 gram

If you are unsure between 3 and 4 ppm, must take the higher number. Hence must up by 4/3. 11 x 4/3 = 14.5 gram

Nitrites are high because the second kind of the nitrifying bacteria, the ones that feed on nitrite and convert it to nitrate have not grown in sufficient amount yet. It will take time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store