I just got a fish aquarium and my ammonia levels are high. What do I do??

Jim bean 20055

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2020
Im not gonna post my bass unless its garunteed im not gonna get another tank. I still have 6 months and by then they will probably be worth more if I kind of wanna make back what I spent on them

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
How many bass do you have?

And the other fish in the tank. How many other fish? What species?

Jim bean 20055

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2020
Ok so ill start all over. Ammonia 0 ppm Nitrites 2-4 ppm. My water test Kit does not have nitrates so how will I know if its cycled. Do I have to buy a different water tester?

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I agree with Jim. What he is dealing with is worthy of keeping the focus solely on cycling the tank and learning the ropes of it.

Nitrites of 2-4 ppm are deadly without detox. Make sure you are detoxifying them right.

Do the fish still feed? That'd be a good sign that you are doing it right.

You don't really need the nitrate (nitrAte) test. When your ammonia and nitrite are firmly at zero ppm for a while, like a week, without any changes in your tank (fish are fed and still feed), then you can say your tank's cycled. But as I wrote before, cycling is a live process, it constantly adjusts to everything that happens in a fish tank.

As an extra assurance and learning, testing for nitrAtes could help you indeed as the guys suggest above.

Also, you asked before how you'd know when the cycling is done and you were explained it, in this thread, I think at least 2-3 times. Please read and reread this thread if you remember that a question had already been posed and answered... otherwise you risk making it seem like you value your time and don't value ours. Just my 2 cents. We will still try to help you, one of us or another, but we as people have a nasty habit of overanalyzing the actions of others and underanalyzing our own and forgiving and excusing ourselves for what we don't forgive or excuse the others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store