I need a tanganyika expert (Tank Build)

yarok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2009
Somewhere
I am trying to build my dream tank. I currently have a 36 gallon with 6 leleupi and 6 julies. I would like to put together a tank with Calvus (Black Inkfin), Compressiceps (Mwela Orange), cyprichromis leptosoma, Julidichromis ragni kipili or marksmithi, leleupis and maybe Frontosa (Kigoma} (I know its unlikely but if possible) and maybe some syndontis mulitis. The only red tanganyikan I can think of is a tropheus and I have read that they are tricky. I know I need a large tank. I want to know if it would be possible and if so how big of a tank I would need? Thanks guys

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I am trying to build my dream tank. I currently have a 36 gallon with 6 leleupi and 6 julies. I would like to put together a tank with Calvus (Black Inkfin), Compressiceps (Mwela Orange), cyprichromis leptosoma, Julidichromis ragni kipili or marksmithi, leleupis and maybe Frontosa (Kigoma} (I know its unlikely but if possible) and maybe some syndontis mulitis. The only red tanganyikan I can think of is a tropheus and I have read that they are tricky. I know I need a large tank. I want to know if it would be possible and if so how big of a tank I would need? Thanks guys
I am not an Tang expert, but I am pretty sure the Frontosa will eat the cyps and smaller fish.
It might take awhile, but they will do it. Plus, even if they don't eat them, the smaller fish are not going to feel comfortable in a tank with potential predators and hide most of the time.

Also, I am pretty sure different Julies will hybridize. OF course, you can still keep them in a community tank, just don't sell or distribute the fry..

I've never kept Tropheus, but from what I understand, you need a large group of them (about 12) and they do best in a species only tank.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Kept and bred a lot of Tanganyikan cichlids, mostly in species only tanks. Creating a Tanganyikan community tank is mostly trial and error. I kept and bred both frontosas and paracyprichromis in a 75 gallon tank. Tank had lots of rockwork and a very large piece of horizontal driftwood in it going across the length of the tank. Fish did well for quite a few years, both species spawning, but eventually the frontosa ate the paracyps. Of the cichlids you listed, the leleupi can be a bit nasty once they pair off, making life miserable for the rest of the tankmates. Julies, calvus, compressiceps, and cyps are quite mellow. As mentioned above, tropheus are best kept in a species only tank. Instead of the synodontis multipunctatus, I prefer the synodontis lucipinnis or the synodontis petricola as they do not get as large as the multipunctatus, but look and act similar. The bigger the footprint of the tank, the easier it will be to keep the chosen fish, since all but the cyps inhabit the bottom of the tank. A 125 or larger tank should work. Good luck.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Agree. Cyps are the natural food of frontosa in the lake.

Razzo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 18, 2008
Northern Indiana
Agree. Cyps are the natural food of frontosa in the lake.
Yes, however, cyps can be done if done right. They are part of my plans for a 10-foot gibberosa community tank.

The only species I would change in ur list is the julies. I'd replace them with Lepidolamprologus Nkambae. You are going to need a big tank and the bigger the better. Six foot long is the minimum and you should really plan for eight foot (imho). Start the tank with everything but the Cyphotilapia. Give all those other species a head start on growth (especially the altolamps). You can mix and match calvus and comps without the fear of hybridization if you do them right too: I recommend three males of each and any number of females and these two altolamp species will completely ignore each other even when spawning. As far as cyps go, I'd try jumbo... Maybe a speckleback.

Add ur Cyphos later as 1.5" fry, feed well, provide good structure for all and you'll probably be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store