I sold my freshwater soul...

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
jwd jwd would be cool if you cool post ypur salt updates here.

Reactions: jwd

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
I'm torn. I want to like your post but I dont. I get it I went the opposit direction you are. I got rid of around 2000g of salt water to nothing then to a 60g fresh and to a 75g fresh now headed for a 180. I think as you said sold you soul from one demon to the devil itself.....lol.
Good luck hope to see you around.
Haha I did didn't I? I have to say that it costs so much to do saltwater. I've dipped my toe in the saltwater side once and hated it because to do it you have to do it right. I didn't have access to rodi and wasn't going to pay petco $11 per 5 gallons of water and wasn't interested in buying an rodi system at the time so I had mounds of issues with the tank. This time around I'll have everything. I'll even have a nano skimmer. Last time I used a hob filter, saltwater light, and tap water salt water. I had the nastiest algae problem I've ever seen. I plan on sharing what I've learned online and hopefully get some insight on what I need to change.

Yeah, wonder if the boss would let me. That would be cool. I'll make the thread Monday when I get everything in. I'll post everything that I bought and go over the plans for the future of the tank.

Reactions: clm08k and magpie

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Here is a sneak peek. This is a 32 gallon all in one coralife biocube. 22"x22"x22" I think. I put eggcrate on the bottom but I might be taking it out. I've read that the negatives out weigh the positives. Sifters can't sift all the way down and detritus gets stuck in the squares.

So this is a neat system. It has 3 slots. I'll put the heater in the 1st empty slot along with the skimmer. The middle slot is for the media basket and the 3rd has the pump in it. Most people leave the 3rd empty but if you use an auto top off system you can put stuff in it. I don't have the auto top off yet but I'll order that next week. Also, I have a stand coming, it's not going here.

1234.jpg 3456.jpg

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yeah it looks good. Just watch though you'll want to be going larger in no time. Remember dilution is the solution!
A good skimmer is a must! Only way to really get the organics out of the water. Sounds like it's gonna be a nice nano though.
Any idea on stock list?

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Yeah it looks good. Just watch though you'll want to be going larger in no time. Remember dilution is the solution!
A good skimmer is a must! Only way to really get the organics out of the water. Sounds like it's gonna be a nice nano though.
Any idea on stock list?
Thanks, yeah I haven't ordered the skimmer yet but there are a few out there that fit this thing well. I haven't ordered it yet because I haven't decided on which is best. I've read that the better skimmer needs to be ran with an auto top off system so I'll order those two together.

I haven't decided on stock. I do know for sure I'll have a lot of hammer coral and frogspawn. I like zoanthids a lot too. I like the goby shrimp symbiotic relationship, seems really cool.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Thanks, yeah I haven't ordered the skimmer yet but there are a few out there that fit this thing well. I haven't ordered it yet because I haven't decided on which is best. I've read that the better skimmer needs to be ran with an auto top off system so I'll order those two together.

I haven't decided on stock. I do know for sure I'll have a lot of hammer coral and frogspawn. I like zoanthids a lot too. I like the goby shrimp symbiotic relationship, seems really cool.
It is but they will wreak havoc on your sand bed and possibly corals.
Euphillia are some of my favorite and zoos too. Good combo. Just be careful with that small a tank the sweeper tenticles off the euphillia can and will destroy any non lps it touches.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Haha I did didn't I? I have to say that it costs so much to do saltwater. I've dipped my toe in the saltwater side once and hated it because to do it you have to do it right. I didn't have access to rodi and wasn't going to pay petco $11 per 5 gallons of water and wasn't interested in buying an rodi system at the time so I had mounds of issues with the tank. This time around I'll have everything. I'll even have a nano skimmer. Last time I used a hob filter, saltwater light, and tap water salt water. I had the nastiest algae problem I've ever seen. I plan on sharing what I've learned online and hopefully get some insight on what I need to change.

Yeah, wonder if the boss would let me. That would be cool. I'll make the thread Monday when I get everything in. I'll post everything that I bought and go over the plans for the future of the tank.
Im looking forward to seeing this take form. Will be fun to learn a little about salty too

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
It is but they will wreak havoc on your sand bed and possibly corals.
Euphillia are some of my favorite and zoos too. Good combo. Just be careful with that small a tank the sweeper tenticles off the euphillia can and will destroy any non lps it touches.
I've read, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if you do say all hammers or all LPS then the sweeper won't sting them because they're alll the same. One of the exceptions I've read is torch coral. I might do ALL LPS idk that's my favorite.

Im looking forward to seeing this take form. Will be fun to learn a little about salty too
Can't wait to get it started. The stand comes to my house later tonight and all the other stuff comes in to my office in a little while.

I was wondering about you and your tanks last week!

Sad to hear that polys are out for now but I understand your position. I agree - keep posting in here or at the least post a link for us.
Will do! How are the noodles?

Reactions: clm08k
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store