I started a crazy project - Big ray habitat

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
royalray;1914609; said:
Hi Lode, thanks for your input. for the wet portion, beside brush, what else can i use? ceramic bio ring? any suggestion? what about the dry tower? what is the best medium for this dry part? i am thinking bio ball. what advice? i will be building few tower for this, using 8" or 12" pvc pipe for this, will sprinkle the water from a height of 7 feet down. will aerate from bottom.

thanks a lot..... by the way, you got nice pearl pup, congrat again.
Also make a bio-tower of some kind and place all your bio material in this tower. BIO-BALLS are worthless and are not worth using. Use a plastic pellet bead that you find on pond filters like the ones made by aquaultraviolet.com. One cubic foot of bio balls has a surface area of around 250sq ft of area for bio to grow, the plastic beads have over 700sq ft for the same cubic foot thats 3x time surface area for bio to grow. I would go 12-16" pipe on the towers and you will need around 4 of them in total. I would go as high as possible our tower is 9ft tall here are some pictures of my sump, bio-tower and filter socks. I am moving 50,000 gallons an hour thru my sump, around 20,000 goes thru my bio tower and pond bead filter.

TFH pictures 031.JPG

TFH pictures 034.JPG

TFH pictures 038.JPG

TFH pictures 039.JPG

TFH pictures 041.JPG

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
Hi Mike,

thanks so much for your detail info. i will study it and come back to you if i have more question. just too tired and sleepy now, is nearly 4am here. thanks ....

rayman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
Germany
Hi royalray,

wow! Amazing project!

I was told that a sieve is not good for ray tanks because the ray faces are to greasy and can block the sieve.

What is the size of the ray in your Avatar now? I miss him!
Glad that he will be part of such a great project!

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
rayman;1915021;1915021 said:
Hi royalray,

wow! Amazing project!

I was told that a sieve is not good for ray tanks because the ray faces are to greasy and can block the sieve.

What is the size of the ray in your Avatar now? I miss him!
Glad that he will be part of such a great project!
Hi Andreas,

thanks for your input, i am thinking to use a sieve to remove the solid waste and feces, if the ray feces is too sticky, what can i use to do that? is there any moving sieve unit available out there? that can remove the solid waste by moving the sieve?

the galaxy is about 32-33cm now, he is very well ang healthy now. infact he is allocated a bunglow unit in this project but i have no girls for him. do you have female galaxy? any new borns now?

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
Hi, I will try to take some photo of my ray today, will post it up tonight.

I need more input about the filter system anf the material for my project. please....

Andreas said the sieve is not good, what other method can i use to remove the solid waste and feces? I think is better to remove them as fast as possible before they come into bio filter. what else can i use?

boony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
singapore
Have a slightly different take on filtration, nitrates removal and other ills from accumulated fish poo is handled.
Mine is an in-pond biological filter and instead of bio balls, bio rings etc, its merely a 30cm thick layer of granite chips, yes, they type used in construction. To keep the bacteria alive, underground pipes blow water through and upwards. As well, my pond is laden with around 20 different types of water plants, which in turn remove all the nitrates that the bacteria does not/cannot consume. So, apart from having the fun of having all the different water plants, the overall feel is an amazon river where even sensitive Altum angles thrive with nary one death in a batch of 10 i intorduced about 10 months ago.
While i have just 12 rays of different sizes ranging from 15 cm to 60cm diameter, have over 30 types of monster fishes in the same pond of around 40,000 litres.
Backtracking a little, biological filter covers half the pond surface.
In essence, i am far less scientific when it comes to filtration construction and rely on plants and natural bacteria to do the job. Even all the roof top gutter is planned such that it flows into my pond and by default, i get a massive water change evertime there is a downpour. I will be the first to admit that PH swings should be incredible, but for whatever reasons, it has always been around 6.5 and the variety of fishes all seem to have adapted.
Not sure if my "natural" system have mangled your ideas of how to make a better filter system, but consider using water plants in abundance if your setup allows.
BTW, you have one heck of a collection of rays, be it quality or quantity!

Regards
Boon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store