I started a planted tank for the first time.

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
LFS sold me potted plants and I couldn't get the stone wool off completely so I planted with them on it. Honestly its a good amount. Is it bad for a tank Im planning on putting fish in soon? Is there a proper or really good method for removing it? Should I pull the plants up and replant them after removing them? Please let me know what your opinions are. Im a huge rookie when it comes to plants. I didn't do as much research as I should have but the damage is already done. LEt me know what you guys think. Thanks.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Would help if we knew what kind of plants you've got. Pics?

Best way to learn is by doing and learning from the mistakes I've made is invaluable. My first go was very costly.

Reactions: PanAntV

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
Would help if we knew what kind of plants you've got. Pics?

Best way to learn is by doing and learning from the mistakes I've made is invaluable. My first go was very costly.

So far amazon swords, java ferns, the wool is on dwarf baby tears and dwarf hair grass. Theres also a purple red plant in the tank I don't know the name it just looks cool.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Not necessary to remove the wool entirely...the new growth is more important. Dwarf baby tears & hair grass aren't exactly beginner plants. Hope you have good lighting.

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
Not necessary to remove the wool entirely...the new growth is more important. Dwarf baby tears & hair grass aren't exactly beginner plants. Hope you have good lighting.
the hairs are doing okay so far. the tears i can't tell. But we have 2 regular hood lights using those classic fluorescent bulbs. Planning to switch to the T5's or something later. Do you have a recommendation. Was planning to add fish this week too. Do you think the wool won't affect the fish?

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
the hairs are doing okay so far. the tears i can't tell. But we have 2 regular hood lights using those classic fluorescent bulbs. Planning to switch to the T5's or something later. Do you have a recommendation. Was planning to add fish this week too. Do you think the wool won't affect the fish?
Main reason why I failed so miserably the first time was I went cheap on the lighting...made my own light fixture using flood lights. You won't go wrong with a Finnex 24/7 and there are many others, depending on your budget. I just ordered a second Finnex Ray2 for a second setup only because I don't need the options of the Finnex 24/7.

Fishes are smart enough to know the wool isn't food if that's your concern. Try burying the wool into the substrate if possible.

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
Main reason why I failed so miserably the first time was I went cheap on the lighting...made my own light fixture using flood lights. You won't go wrong with a Finnex 24/7 and there are many others, depending on your budget. I just ordered a second Finnex Ray2 for a second setup only because I don't need the options of the Finnex 24/7.

Fishes are smart enough to know the wool isn't food if that's your concern. Try burying the wool into the substrate if possible.
Thanks for the tips. I'll get on those lights asap. And what is your opinion on have fern and putting them in the substrate. I have a soil bottom with sand top.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Java fern is always on wood or rocks. Of the rhizome is buried game over :(

Baby tears and hair grass need better lighting and ferts, co2 will really let it take off though.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Java fern, like anubias have rhizomes that should not be buried. Slow growers...I let them grow in a growout tank. I noticed dwarf baby tears growing well floating near the surface...idk, perhaps helped being near the light source.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
couldn't get the stone wool off completely so I planted with them on it.
hello; My guess is as long as the roots are freed enough to grow into the substrate and not too bound it will be fine.

have 2 regular hood lights using those classic fluorescent bulbs. Planning to switch to the T5's or something later
Hello; I know there are costly modern light setups now. I guess they are OK. Thing is I have grown many plants with the same lights you now have. You can get fluorescent tubes more specific for plants. I have grown plants under regular tubes as well.
I tend to DIY a lot of my stuff. I also have been keeping tanks for decades. I have some old style hoods and in the last year or few have modified them to take LED bulbs.
More correctly I modified them first to take the compact fluorescent (CFL) with the standard screw in base. I have since replaced the CFL with screw in LED bulbs. My plants grow fine.

On my 55 gallon I am using an LED shop light I picked up on sale at the local Wal-mart. I had planned to use it in the garage but stuck it on top of the 55 on a whim. Been there a bit over a year and the plants are doing fine. A four foot light for $15. Normal price is around $35.

Don't get me wrong. The expensive lights may be in some way better, I just have not tried them yet. No need.

Baby tears and hair grass need better lighting and ferts, co2 will really let it take off though.
Hello; May I suggest waiting a year or so before jumping into co2. You do not have to have it. Get some experience on a more basic setup first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store