I want a ray

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
Hi I am very interested in getting a Ray as a pet since I will have a 100 gallon 60Lx18Wx24H tank that will be available in the near future. Now I know that rays are very sensitive to water conditions. I have heard that there are rays out there liek Scobino's i think that stay small. Which is what i am interested in I know they are very rare as well so I dont just wanna jump and buy I wanna do my research.

Does anyone have a good book they could recommend on freshwater rays?

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
Get the aqualog "FreshwaterStingrays" By Dr. Richard Ross. Great Book!!!

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
stingrayguy;767838; said:
best book around....even cheaper on amazon i think.

kody1192

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Illinois
stingrayguy;767838; said:
this is a great book i have a copy great for people just starting with rays

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Save your money on the book,

The first thing you will read, is that you need a bigger tank!

hollywood69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2006
virginia
gl luck trying to find a scorbina! stingrayguy used to have some, sold them for around $500 a pop!!! buy a reticulata they also stay small, and for a fraction of the price! like 20-40 bones!!!! the guide to freshwater stingrays by dr. ross is also a great book and cheap!

don't worry about tank size, i have the exact same tank, 100 gal, same specs as you mentioned, and i have 2 adult retics living in it! i've had them for 6 years, depending on how much you feed, you can contol/stunt their growth! i did that for the 1st 2/3 years, now i feed and change water regulary! but becarefule with retics, they are very picky eaters! your water has to be perfect! no ammonia, no nitrites! ph 6.5!! i would suggest you practice trying to own a discus, they require the same living conditions, also you will need to make sure the tank is fully cycled! last but not least and personally i think this is the best advice i can give; find a supplier that has or had ray experience, the supplier is the most crucial part in owning rays, because once they eat for the supplier, they should eat from you, especially retics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store