I want Shell Dweller Cichlids!! and i have an empty 20 gallon! HELP!

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
similis, which looks incredibly like muties, and brevis..although both get a little bigger

LEVI_L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charleston IL
thanks again! that site was very helpful! what do you do to keep your water at the recomended hardness for all the shelldwellers?

Dylz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2009
NYC/NJ
you could take a different route with the shell dwellers and look into getting some Alto. Sumbu "shell" compressiceps. imo they are kooler than regular "shellies" and have way more color then any compressiceps. their pretty rare as well.
heres a pic a youngster i found.

LEVI_L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charleston IL
:headbang2I really like him! and the more i looked into shell dwellers in general the more i liked the compress body shape! they have caught my eye b for just cuz of there faces! SO with these do they breed rapidly? could i raise more than one generation in a single tank? multiple breeding pairs? and does rare translate directly to price? do u know where they are sold?

Dylz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2009
NYC/NJ
i have a pair that bred a lil over a month after i got them in. currently i have the fry growing out in the tank with the parents. ive read that you can keep multiple pairs together. and yes the price is pretty steep on these if you can find them wild caught. i got mine from greg at littleafricaaquatics.com he has them listed as "dwarf" though its the same fish. you can buy F1 way cheaper from sicichlids.com and reservestockcichlids.com. tell em i sent you.

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Reservestockcichlids.com is my personal suggestion. I went up there and bought some golden occies and multis from him, he's very nice and has a really great operation going on up there. However, if you want, I'd send you my multis for free, you just pay shipping. I'm moving this summer and am getting rid of most my tanks... :(

Dylz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2009
NYC/NJ
me? i got a discount at 100 for the wild pair. i have them is a 30 breeder. i have about 30 fry so im making my money back with ease.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store