Ick Away treatment on a tiger oscar with an open wound?

Em J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2018
About a month ago I agreed to take my friend's fish because he was moving, so I am relatively new to fish-keeping. I have 11 convict fish, 2 jewel cichlids and one 8 inch tiger oscar. After about a month the big guy acquired ick. I got the product "Ick Away" from the pet store and was able to get in one application, which cleared up the problem considerably but with some remnants left over. I was getting ready to make the second application but while feeding them this morning, my big oscar decided he wanted to jump for his food and scraped himself up on the lip of the tank. The wounds are not serious, but I am afraid to apply the treatment while he has them. Does anyone here have any experience with this problem?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
About a month ago I agreed to take my friend's fish because he was moving, so I am relatively new to fish-keeping. I have 11 convict fish, 2 jewel cichlids and one 8 inch tiger oscar. After about a month the big guy acquired ick. I got the product "Ick Away" from the pet store and was able to get in one application, which cleared up the problem considerably but with some remnants left over. I was getting ready to make the second application but while feeding them this morning, my big oscar decided he wanted to jump for his food and scraped himself up on the lip of the tank. The wounds are not serious, but I am afraid to apply the treatment while he has them. Does anyone here have any experience with this problem?

Welcome aboard :)

How long has the aquarium been up and running also how often do you do water changes and what percentage. Did it say anything on the Ick Away bottle about being safe for bio bacteria. The reason I'm asking these questions are critical to the Oscar and others.

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Scrapes are fine. Most of the time it will heal. Clean water and would add some salt in this case at a 1 tsp per gallon for the wound. Would post ur water parameters and tank info as tlindsey tlindsey mentioned. Ich away has malachite green in it so shouldn’t mess with ur biofilter. Monitor the scrape or and treat for ich with meds since u have it and proceeding with it.

Em J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2018
Welcome aboard :)

How long has the aquarium been up and running also how often do you do water changes and what percentage. Did it say anything on the Ick Away bottle about being safe for bio bacteria. The reason I'm asking these questions are critical to the Oscar and others.
We set up the aquarium in my house on 4/29/18, but my friend had it for 7+ years. I added API bio-live and stress coat as well while setting it up. The aquarium is 25 gallons but only 22 fit with all the rocks and habitat. I only recently learned that I had to do water changes, but I did add about 3 gallons last week because a lot had evaporated off (I live on well water so I have to buy deer park cases from the store) and I did buy a test kit from the store today. As for the Ick Away being safe for bio bacteria, the package does not say, but the active ingredients are Victoria green and Acriflavine.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
We set up the aquarium in my house on 4/29/18, but my friend had it for 7+ years. I added API bio-live and stress coat as well while setting it up. The aquarium is 25 gallons but only 22 fit with all the rocks and habitat. I only recently learned that I had to do water changes, but I did add about 3 gallons last week because a lot had evaporated off (I live on well water so I have to buy deer park cases from the store) and I did buy a test kit from the store today. As for the Ick Away being safe for bio bacteria, the package does not say, but the active ingredients are Victoria green and Acriflavine.

Tbh rehome the Oscar and donate most of the Convicts aquarium too small.
The aquarium is over stocked this is what caused the Oscar to get stressed and develop Ich Oscar was getting harrassed by the Convicts which are more aggressive. Until you rehome the fish up your water changes to 50% or more make sure a dechlorinator is used preferably Seachem Prime. Also test your parameters and update us with them. We are here to help.:)

Reactions: RocketGarStar

Em J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2018
Scrapes are fine. Most of the time it will heal. Clean water and would add some salt in this case at a 1 tsp per gallon for the wound. Would post ur water parameters and tank info as tlindsey tlindsey mentioned. Ich away has malachite green in it so shouldn’t mess with ur biofilter. Monitor the scrape or and treat for ich with meds since u have it and proceeding with it.
Thanks for your reply! I just need a little more clarification. What do you mean by clean water? And are you saying I can add the salt and the ick treatment at the same time? Also I thought oscars, jewels, and convicts were all freshwater fishes. Are they able to tolerate that much salt? Also I just posted some more info about the tank, but its about 22 gallons.

Tbh rehome the Oscar and donate most of the Convicts aquarium too small.
The aquarium is over stocked this is what caused the Oscar to get stressed and develop Ich Oscar was getting harrassed by the Convicts which are more aggressive. Until you rehome the fish up your water changes to 50% or more make sure a dechlorinator is used preferably Seachem Prime. Also test your parameters and update us with them. We are here to help.:)
If I wanted to keep the Oscar, couldn't I just get a bigger tank and donate some of the convicts?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for your reply! I just need a little more clarification. What do you mean by clean water? And are you saying I can add the salt and the ick treatment at the same time? Also I thought oscars, jewels, and convicts were all freshwater fishes. Are they able to tolerate that much salt? Also I just posted some more info about the tank, but its about 22 gallons.

If I wanted to keep the Oscar, couldn't I just get a bigger tank and donate some of the convicts?

Yes you could do that but please asap. Oscars require more maintenance due to their size when mature and bioload. Oscars are prone to disease known as HITH(Hole in the head).

Reactions: Drstrangelove
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store