Jan 13, 2013
Australia
Not a pike killi though

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
No worries, I'm sure someone will come along knowing what I got!

krustyart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Put a male Gambusia of almost any species in with it/her and if there is no gravid spot within 30 days, you can be almost positive it's not a 'skeeter fish.

Also, try to get a in-focus close-up of the mouth. If it's not oriented upward you can cross Gambusia off the list.

SirReptile

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2013
Australia
Why not go back to the shop later and ask what species of fish it is they are using as a feeder

krustyart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Looks more killifish than livebearer. Maybe some kind of topminnow?

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk App

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
The shop keeper said it was a guppy, however he also has a 9 pound channel cat labled as an irridesent shark.. the mouth is angled upwards

buctrose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Minnesota
It is surely a live-bearer (Poeciliidae). Since, from what I can tell the origin of the anal fin is in front of the dorsal fin. The head is a bit more elongated than what I'm used to for mosquitofish, but if I had to guess either the western or eastern mosquitofish. It is quite common for females to be missing the spot.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Im still sticking to gambusia. Young never pregnant females will nit have the black spot. And its missing the gonopodium because its female. And its not to long that what i consider normal body for gambusia. But ok.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store