ID red terrors

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
And this guy has buddied up with a butti and the butti started terrorizing the red terror...so now to decide to keep the butti and his buddy or the red terror? And swap them out for more terrors? If the guy above is a red devil? I know what im looking for now at least.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
neither is a festae

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
Thanks guys, the red devil.. Def a devil... And the others are mayans? (False red terrors) def confirmed now that they've settled in and bulked up abit, no Y and the tail spot is def over and under the lateral line. Everyone playing nice atm, and have nice color... Time will tell. How about these guys? They have a beautiful red undertone like a jewel thats washed out. Def not mayans!

image.jpg

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
I picked up 6 and iir the high spot is how to sex them? I have 2-3 pretty sure are male and at least one I think is female. Smaller and no spot, more stripes. I've never really seen these guys in person prior as juvies. I got a real good deal so jumped on them. Lots of spangling too. This pic is day two in the tank... Already joining the rest for feeding time and the biggest locked with our devil a few times and everyone settled down since. I'm home all the time and they are in the living room so hopefully i'll be able to pick out a pair soon to separate and keep. Appreciate any and all tips/suggestions on keeping these guys successfully for the future. I'd also like to keep at least one other to comm with the rest of my guys, thinking female? And would dithers be a good idea longterm for the pair (if so i'd plan on getting them when i move the pair to a larger set-up) ? I've heard stories of them maiming/killing partners ect. And really want to avoid that if possible yet try and get a few spawns out of them in the future. I have a 75 ready for a pair but could def go bigger in the future once we move the aba out of the 120w but i wanted to use that to house a few of the others as a comm. but I can reevaluate as the terrors are my main focus. I know bigger is better but is a 75 going to as a general rule be enough room? Or would a 125 be better then the 75's 18"x4' and 120w's 2x4 footprint vs the 18"x6' footprint of the 125? Lots of questions I know :) I've been doing my research and want some actual experiences to go with what info i've found to either confirm or deny "facts"

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
View attachment 1042168

Thanks guys, the red devil.. Def a devil... And the others are mayans? (False red terrors) def confirmed now that they've settled in and bulked up abit, no Y and the tail spot is def over and under the lateral line. Everyone playing nice atm, and have nice color... Time will tell. How about these guys? They have a beautiful red undertone like a jewel thats washed out. Def not mayans!

These look like festae

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The mid body spot above the lateral line is really not the determiner, but only if that spot is/becomes a dark area in the dorsal.
Many young cichlids of Heroine ancestry have some semblance of the spot.
Below a young festae.

notice a similar spot in beani.

I don't know if this is a proper observation, but in females the spot seems to migrate into the dorsal as they age, in males it simply dissipates.

In mature female festae it is fairly obvious.
2 females below, with a male in the same tank

but if a male is not present, the sexual determiner may be obscured.
a female below, no male in the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store