ID Shark Housing

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
it's very urgent. If they are the type that grow larger than +12" then they have been stunted for 4 years.

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
8" in 125 gal is good, IMO.

That's what I used to think too for years based on my experience and that of others. I have changed my view because of the threads like this http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...05668-ID-sharks-theories&highlight=IDS+growth

There appears to be some IDSs that grow slow and small. ATM, it remains an unexplained mystery AFAIK.
According to swai farmers they reach market size(2-3 lbs) in under a year, some as quickly as six months, and have a far better feed conversion ratio than channel cats. If the fish are staying small it's almost certainly some failure in husbandry. I'm not passing judgement as it seems many who provide what we would consider at least decent conditions have the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Maybe theyr just minis (Wich apparently is seen before), but if not these Guys are seriuesly stunted, and the big eyes point to that. If theyr 5 years old they should be 2ft to 2,5ft and are under 1 foot, Theres a real problem... Im not an Expert on stunted fish, but i dont know if a bigger tank would help, or they would just remain on this size.

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
Every time I've graduated them to a larger tank, they grow quickly, giving them only a few months of true free space in a tank. So, while I recover financially from tank to tank, I move ornaments and fish around to make space. So, I'm confident these are the true-blue 4' ID sharks.

I'm so glad I found this forum, and thank all of you very much for your quick, honest, and informed replies. I had no idea my progress was too slow for their growing bodies. I'll find the fastest way to find these two guys a larger home.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
hmm quite peculiar. But he did say that the eyes were large in comparison to the body, so that may be an indication that it is stunted.
Right. But I wouldn't rely on words in this case. We need good photos. Moreover, can someone cite a source or a study for this connection between eye size and stunting. I have never heard it and want to learn, please. Till then, please allow me remaining dubious.

AFAIK, the body parts of a stunted fish do not change their proportions significantly (we are not talking short-body fish here).

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'm glad that you brought up large eyes. Both sharks have large eyes that do not react to fungal or bacterial treatment...
At the face value, this is a very strange statement. Elaborate, please, if you will.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
According to swai farmers they reach market size(2-3 lbs) in under a year, some as quickly as six months, and have a far better feed conversion ratio than channel cats. If the fish are staying small it's almost certainly some failure in husbandry. I'm not passing judgement as it seems many who provide what we would consider at least decent conditions have the same issue.
Right and all agreeable, except maybe the feed conversion ratio and the undeniable fact that a large % of IDSs sold grow slow and small in proper care.

Other things than improper husbandry may explain this "seeming" contradiction. Albeit hard to support by anything.

I offered these worthless thoughts in a couple of other threads:

"... There is this notion that some farmed ones, such as Hemibagrus nemurus (most often albino), IDS, etc., are poor growers, which I don't understand as this would ruin the food fish farming business... but, indeed, we have been seeing fishes of abnormally slow growth and attaining much smaller adult sizes, it would seem of both hemibagrus and the IDS. Some suppose this is due to insufficient attention of the farmers to the maintenance of a healthy gene pool - but this can't be agreed because, as mentioned, it would ruin farmers' business...

The usual thought/conviction is that we in the trade get a tiny % of the fish raised for food.

This conundrum could be reconciled by a supposition that the ornamental fish trade is now getting supplied from a different source than food fish farms and the ornamental fish trade may even benefit from smaller fishes as more hobbyists can house them. They would also benefit as these fish would reproduce poorly too (and are more sickly). All this increases the "ornamental farmers" consumer demand and farmers' security. ATM, this is but my wild thoughts, unsupported by anything."

This is probably just silly thinking. Grasping at the straws.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Maybe theyr just minis (Wich apparently is seen before), but if not these Guys are seriuesly stunted, and the big eyes point to that. If theyr 5 years old they should be 2ft to 2,5ft and are under 1 foot, Theres a real problem... Im not an Expert on stunted fish, but i dont know if a bigger tank would help, or they would just remain on this size.
I've never heard of dwarfism in IDS. Can anyone confirm or refute?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Every time I've graduated them to a larger tank, they grow quickly, giving them only a few months of true free space in a tank. So, while I recover financially from tank to tank, I move ornaments and fish around to make space. So, I'm confident these are the true-blue 4' ID sharks...
I am not. The fact of fast growth does support your thinking. The fact that they remained 8" in a 125 gal does not. Can it be that your water changes are exceedingly small/rare? This leads to an accumulation of the growth-inhibiting hormones in the water and, hence, to stunted fish.

...I'm so glad I found this forum, and thank all of you very much for your quick, honest, and informed replies. I had no idea my progress was too slow for their growing bodies. I'll find the fastest way to find these two guys a larger home.
Is it possible to set up an intex pond for them? That would be cheap. Or at least a 300 gal rubbermade tub.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Right. But I wouldn't rely on words in this case. We need good photos. Moreover, can someone cite a source or a study for this connection between eye size and stunting. I have never heard it and want to learn, please. Till then, please allow me remaining dubious.

AFAIK, the body parts of a stunted fish do not change their proportions significantly (we are not talking short-body fish here).
With cichlids at least large eyes in comparison to body means stunting. It happened with my kenyi when I first tried them (kenyi are about as elongated as an id shark scaled down of course). Their eyes were large and I thought it was normal until years laters when I got new kenyi and properly cared for them. I can't imagine this only happening with cichlids. Sorry, I have no scientific papers about this though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store