ID Shark Housing

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Karl, Aweshade, Alex, thank you much for the helpful info and great links. I've started learning about this aspect.

So far, I surmise that the "too big eye" (and sometimes too big head and/or fins) occurs in stunted cichlids, including angels and discus, and fancy goldfish.

In catfish, the stunting is revealed mainly in skeletal abnormalities; no big eye symptom.

In all, of course, the stunting is revealed by the small size at maturity and short lifespan.

All the websites offered appear as reputable to me. Karl, SeriouslyFish is quite a reputable site. I found this article http://www.seriouslyfish.com/stunted-growth-means-stunted-lives/ very, very educational for me. For one, it appears I was mistaken about the very existence of the growth-inhibiting hormone. Stunting is rather the result of action of the growth hormone but modified by the body's stress response. Excellent article. I much recommend to all to read it.

http://www.bigfishcampaign.org/ is an excellent resource too. The way I see it, it is not against MFK and Co but simply for improvement in the area of our hobby that most of us appear to be passionate about.
You're Welcome. I'm also gald I could learn something new about catfish.
Spot on about cichlid stunting
Didn't know that catfish only had skeletal symptoms
Thanks

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
I've had fish for 11 years, but it has only been these past 5 years that I became seriously interested in housing large fish. It has definitely been trial by fire, since I normally try to learn independently.

My filtration system is comprised of two Marineland Emperor 400 pro hanging/waterfall filters. They're positioned at opposing ends of the tank. I'm skittish of canister filters, although I hear they're mostly amazing.

I have never used a full aquarium kit to measure or monitor the chemicals in the aquarium. I've only used a pH and ammonia kit to measure those chemicals when my pleco turned pale. I've mainly avoided them because I felt they were too expensive and had no benefit to offer. Evidently I've been wrong for a while.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Here is what's widely recommended by many and what I use - API Freshwater Master Kit: http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Test-Kits/I/Api-Freshwater-Master-Kit.aspx

Only $24 for 4 test kinds. NH3 and NO3 ~120-150 tests. NO2 ~300 tests. pH 300-600 tests. Get some food what not to up the order to $49 and shipping is free. Otherwise it is ~$5-$8.

As these have a shelf life (albeit a lengthy one), it is often on sale for under $20.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
If you'r seriues about keeping large catfish, i can only tell you one thing: A pond is so much cheaper, you can get something like 4x4 meters pond or even large, alot cheaper than a huuge tank.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Plus and minuses..... but yes, I agree too. Unless you are made of money or are quite handy - then nothing can beat a big pond with a large window.

I said inflatable above (page 3) - it does not have to be. Hard wall will do too. So would sinter blocks.

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
I hope these pictures post without cutting the sides off, as the preview shows...

Several of the fish them selves, then the last to show the set up of the tank.

I've made a 40% water change to the aquarium to start them off, then will continue with 10% WCs weekly.

I didn't realize how inexpensive those kits were! I obviously didn't shop around enough. Thank you, those will help significantly.

I hope to have these fellas in a pond after a few years, because a home can only handle so much water damage from the nature of an aquarium. But I need to wait until I'm in a permanent home. I'm 21 and have yet to live in my own house-house.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395427838.799905.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395427870.434644.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395427897.247516.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395427916.431365.jpg

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I hope these pictures post without cutting the sides off, as the preview shows...

Several of the fish them selves, then the last to show the set up of the tank.

I've made a 40% water change to the aquarium to start them off, then will continue with 10% WCs weekly.

I didn't realize how inexpensive those kits were! I obviously didn't shop around enough. Thank you, those will help significantly.

I hope to have these fellas in a pond after a few years, because a home can only handle so much water damage from the nature of an aquarium. But I need to wait until I'm in a permanent home. I'm 21 and have yet to live in my own house-house.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
They look good for stunted fish, the only thing causes concern to me, is the size of the eyes. I wouldnt be surprised if they have stopped growing, even if you provide a larger enclosure. I'm no catfish Expert, right now i just have my Synodontis :) How are your water parameters. What are your water parameters? You bought the test kit right :D ? If i remember all this correctly (Which im 99% i do. This is how i look at it.) Nitrite and amonia is alot more toxic than nitrate. The nitrate helps break down the nitrite, if you didnt already know this. I'm sure that Thebiggerthebetter can tell more, or maybe correct what im not right about.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I completely agree with everyone on stunted fish that have big eyes. I can confirmed that theory. We have few small lakes that have populations of stunted fishes. From stunted green sunfish to common carps & catfish. All stunted fish have large head, large eyes and small body and they are usually thin. Never plumper.

There is a lake that always hold stunted populations of channel catfish. No catfish over 16" in that lake have caught.
[/URL]

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I completely agree with everyone on stunted fish that have big eyes. I can confirmed that theory. We have few small lakes that have populations of stunted fishes. From stunted green sunfish to common carps & catfish. All stunted fish have large head, large eyes and small body and they are usually thin. Never plumper.

There is a lake that always hold stunted populations of channel catfish. No catfish over 16" in that lake have caught.
[/URL]
Ok. I'm guessing there internal organs are to big for the body too?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store