ID this Giant Gourami?

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I bought this lil fella about a month and a half ago now and it has put on about 2" in length. It's about 3.5-4" long right now I'd say. I was thinking it may be an Elephant ear?

20160926_142040.jpg

20160926_142211.jpg

Reactions: Stone Like Fish

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It's about 3.5-4" right now. I haven't seen many images of juveniles for ID'ing. However when I google juvenile elephant ear gourami the very first image looks just like mine.

I find this: "Small juveniles have 6 or 7 vertical bars and a supra-anal dark oval spot, none of which are retained by adults and subadults."

In this link: http://www.fishbase.org/summary/26871
Which sounds mighty similar to what I look at as well.

However I'm sure someone that is more familiar can definitely steer me in a good direction. There was another specie with stripes I had seen earlier.

I don't see just the word "No" as helpful with ID'ing at all. lol

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Ah okay, wasn't sure as I haven't owned any in the past. Don't commonly see them around these parts. What are average going prices for Giant Gouramis?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
That was very helpful. Not.
Lol I was saying no to your guess, I've never heard of a giant gourami species referred to as that, I was in a rush my apologies for not saying much else. It doesn't look like a giant gourami to me at all, mouth shape is different. There's always the chance I'm wrong, if so i only see to possibilities and that's a grey or red tail, I wanna lean towards red tail but feel their body is usually a bit darker. I haven't seen either grey or red tail with stripes.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
To me it looked like a grey, looked exactly like mine as s juvie,,post some updated photo's. The elephant ear grows teeth on its lips it can grab fruit of trees with

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store