Identifying little cichlid

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
Please calm down and just let the cichlids show their aggression, and not us.
My sincere apologies to everyone for creating a thread that resulted in this. Hope everyone can please put all of these behind us, and move on. TQVM ?

Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Can a mod have a talking to this a-hole?
I said I wouldnt do it but Im not going to just take being called an ahole for stating an obvious truth.

" One of my large mated pairs killed another 2 in a 6 ft tank.
The female killed her female rival, the male killed his male rival. "

" On one occasion I had a large JD get half its face ripped off by another cichlid, it was still alive, but not long for this world.
I pulled it out, and fried it up, nice appetizer."

" Larger....female cichlids that don't see a male as a potential mate will easily kill them. It has happened to me a number of times"

'' I grew the 2" juvies out in a 150 gal tank. It took about year for the largest male to reach 7 or 8 inches. At that point he killed all the others."

" After nursing them along for almost 3 years (at maturity just when they were at their peak) they started killing each other, in the 150 gal "

" I tried to keep 2 Paratilapia in a 400 gal pool, and they killed each other. "

" After the 1st season with them, ((after the alpha reduced competition (often lethally) "

" Even in that size tank, the alpha male (7")whittled the group down to himself "

" I started with 6 juvies (maybe 8).
The pair formed quite early, and they started killing off the others "

" Although I started with about a dozen Andinoacara, at maturity the Alpha male whittled the population down to 3 females"

" The male above was about the size/diameter of a soccer ball, and only allowed a compatible female in his significantly larger tank than a 45, killing all other cichlids, except his favorite female. "

" The pair above killed any other fish I tried to house with it, cichlids, dithers like live bearers, it didn't matter. "

" As semi adults, my coerleopunctatus were fine, it was when they hit maturity that the blood bath started, and the males only top off at about 7" (but I must admit I did expect problems). "

" He gave me his female, and she quickly killed 2 of my males mated with the other, and killed him soon after spawning. "

" I had a bag of 5 Vieja zonatus, where the female killed all but 1, mated with him least 3 times, then bumped him off. "

" Same thing happed with a pair of Tomocichlia asfraci, where the female killed the male, and then ate the spawn. "

" I started with about a half dozen, the pair killed off all others. "

" The Alpha male killed all the other males and some females "

Sure everyone makes mistakes or surprises and accidents happen. At some point its the fish keepers responsibility to change the situation to prevent those things.

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
I'll just take the positives from all the advices and replies, and act on it. At the mo, I realised that a vieja temperament is not to be trifled with. Not one to stay in a grow up tank with a Flowerhorn for long, in spite of all the dither barbs. Know it's about time to do something. Already added more hiding places, and asking around for another tank with a 4'x2' footprint. Just undecided on the height.
Appreciate all the help and advice that I've been given. TQ

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thanks. Great if it's a zonatus or zonatus hybrid
As a disclaimer I will say I know next to nothing on Vieja…except my parrot (I guess he counts 50%).
Zonatus is just the only one I know that has blue bearding like that, so likely a hybrid involving it.

Reactions: Al KW Tan

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
As a disclaimer I will say I know next to nothing on Vieja…except my parrot (I guess he counts 50%).
Zonatus is just the only one I know that has blue bearding like that, so likely a hybrid involving it.
Lol.. No worries, bud. As long as it turns out good looking.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store