If you could cross breed your poly's, which ones? - Hybrid talk

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
They're similar in size so I can see that. Got any sources for this? Josh's Fish Josh's Fish are there any serious lines between hybridization in the genus from a genetic standpoint?
Yeah they'll all hybridise (except for Ropefish), no genetic reason why they wouldn't, they're all very closely related within the genus. The first bichir breeding occurence in the UK was from an Ornate and Lapradei, picture of the fry in The Bichir Handbook.

Some might not naturally want or be able to breed, for example I wouldn't expect a Retro to breed with a Congi, but artificial breeding happens all the time with Polypterus. After reading the Paddlefish x Sturgeon study, I now won't be shocked if it's possible to breed a Ropefish with a bichir under artificial conditions.

Reactions: Jaws22 and Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Time to make a ropefish x moke and see what happens! That's interesting but hopefully we don't get flooded with hybrids.

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
Somewhat doubtful, unless done artificially of course. The size difference is just too much otherwise.
Nah, I've got a sexually mature Congi and Sen. Congi is 17 inch, Sen is 11, size difference isn't an issue there. For breeding, all a male needs to do is cup his anal fin around the female, assuming the male is the larger fish, you could probably have a 15-20 inch size difference and it wouldn't impact it. The difference is though, a size difference like that, the larger bichir may prefer to eat them than breed with them haha.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
What about a mokelembembe bichir mixed with a nile bichir now that will be a cool looking bichir in my opinion
Yeah they'll all hybridise (except for Ropefish), no genetic reason why they wouldn't, they're all very closely related within the genus. The first bichir breeding occurence in the UK was from an Ornate and Lapradei, picture of the fry in The Bichir Handbook.

Some might not naturally want or be able to breed, for example I wouldn't expect a Retro to breed with a Congi, but artificial breeding happens all the time with Polypterus. After reading the Paddlefish x Sturgeon study, I now won't be shocked if it's possible to breed a Ropefish with a bichir under artificial conditions.
I never of this before hybrid before I kind like its name the sturddlefish I love the sound of it lol but if those guys were ever able too come too the U.S.A then I’m paying good money too get at least 1 of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store