Illegal fish questions

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I'll say it again, I dont think anyone here has a problem reporting a stubborn store owner / seller to the authorities per say...

But before taking that step, there are plenty of other steps that can be taken first to try and help everyone in the situation out, without involving the autorities / gov't which could ruin more than just the store owners livelihood...

Talking to them face to face is always the best place to start, show them the laws if necessary...

If all else fails then i would probably report them (if i still felt inclined to), but would definitely try other ways first...

Also regarding Arowana, there are soooooo many arowana fish farms in Asia that there really is no need to buy wild caught, and most that pay that high a price like to make sure their fish are all chipped and cert ready to ensure they are farmed and not WC...

Last edited:
Reactions: jaws7777

TheOscarFishKing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
Aren't they all now breed in aquariums?
They can breed the asians in captivity they are just worried about the poachers
Just re read all of the other posts. I didn't realize how active this was last night

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
So say said fish gets in the water ways and destroys it...Selling drugs is actually the lesser of two evils. Lmaoooo last time I checked it's someones choice to take drugs, and I will go out on a limb here and have a guess the native fish didn't choose to have said fish invade their ecosystem but I could be wrong.

If my driving was endangering safety, yes I say you have a duty to report it.
But running a red light is endangering the safety of others.

Im sorry bu running to the authorities without talking to the store owner or corp managers is the wuss thing to do. If TALKING doesnt work so be it. This is someones lively hood we're talking about.

One question... no one on this thread broke the law and got away with it ? Ever ? Drinking in public ? Something minor ?

I woumd imagine if the right congressman got a christmas "gift" from one of these importers or fish farmers these fish would quickly be legal

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Asian arowana are banned due to their conservation status, and the aquarium trade literally wiping them from the wild doesn't help. People at customs won't know, a scleroplages formosus is a fish to them doesn't matter if farm bred or wild caught. Docs can be forged and pressure on wild stocks can deplete even further if there's even anything left.
Nonsense. I live where Asian aros are legal to own. The Asians breeders et al control the market, to control the $$$$$$ from that market. Captive fish can sell for 6 figures and up to the right businessman in Japan, or China. That would soon be a thing of the past if everyone & his dog was breeding Asian aros in their ponds.

Pressure on wild stock? LOL, no one is wasting their time looking for wild stock, the money is in the hybrid stock that farm owners have been line breeding and cross tweaking for decades - such as 24K gold heads.

These are the same bureaucrats that allow upwards of 50 million wild clown loaches to be exported every year, with the top Asian aro exporter (Singapore) that does not even regulate adult CL sizes, such as they do in Indonesia. (to protect adult breeders) All the while watching their native waters being destroyed by gold mining, palm tree plantations, and the illegal harvesting of trees, including in their park systems. But suddenly they give a sheet about how many Asian aros are left in their native waters?

As Krichardson stated, money talks and BS walks. If you want to be a tree hugger, get your facts straight.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Wow this is a real lively thread I thought it was old at first glance. My wife and were just talking to a store fs staff member here a few weeks ago and if your F&W work like ours I would not help them. The guy told us that what ever is labeled on the bag is how the fish in the tank must be labeled. In other words they could recieve a bunch of snakeheads labeled ornate bichirs and sell them. Are they breaking the law yes they know what they are bit it is not what the invoice said. Would I report them no I would leave it up to F&W to figure out on their own. This ay sound wrong but I have watched our F&W ruin alot of native wildlife here in the last few years. They can not look after that and then decidde to ban all snakeheads when only one species can survive here. With all of the illegal animal trade and what not in the world why have countries like Canada and the US not got people checking these shipments. The technology is out there now that it should be impossible to get animals through airports or off of ships now especially planes.
Back to what the post is about if this is a good store with good prices and selection. Why would you want to see them shut down if talking to the owners has not worked let them be. Their arrogance will soon get them shut down as I imagine your F&W do random checks on them and they will get caught. Try real hard to straighten these people out as many of the members her will tell you good fish shops are hard to find.

Reactions: jaws7777

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nonsense. I live where Asian aros are legal to own. The Asians breeders et al control the market, to control the $$$$$$ from that market. Captive fish can sell for 6 figures and up to the right businessman in Japan, or China. That would soon be a thing of the past if everyone & his dog was breeding Asian aros in their ponds.

Pressure on wild stock? LOL, no one is wasting their time looking for wild stock, the money is in the hybrid stock that farm owners have been line breeding and cross tweaking for decades - such as 24K gold heads.

These are the same bureaucrats that allow upwards of 50 million wild clown loaches to be exported every year, with the top Asian aro exporter (Singapore) that does not even regulate adult CL sizes, such as they do in Indonesia. (to protect adult breeders) All the while watching their native waters being destroyed by gold mining, palm tree plantations, and the illegal harvesting of trees, including in their park systems. But suddenly they give a sheet about how many Asian aros are left in their native waters?

As Krichardson stated, money talks and BS walks. If you want to be a tree hugger, get your facts straight.
.....drops the mic and walks off the stage.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Again wow, only a minor thing? So potentially destroying native ecosystems is only minor...sorry I don't see that as minor.

I'm not saying go after someone that made an honest mistake, that's ridiculous. People that intentionally do it is another thing. Sorry, one person's livelihood is nowhere near important as an entire ecosystem. God, you could also say, don't stop the drug dealer, that's someone's livelihood.

"drops mic and walks away" ;):p

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You keep going on and on about potential harm to ecosystems when Asian arowanas pose no threat to any as A)no one would be stupid enough to release one given how much they cost.B)Even if by some sliver of a chance that a male AND a female were released in the same water body they would then have to face the chances of conditions being to their liking in order for them to mate,breed and produce offspring.People have a hard enough time getting them to breed under the best of conditions yet they are going to destroy a foreign and totatlly unfamiliar ecosystem?....they are not carp.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I don't think environment is the reason Asian aros are banned

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It's not,as has already been pointed out in this thread as well as many others.

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store