Illegal fishkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

giant19000

Fahaka
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
THE AMAZON
How many people do you guys think keep illegal fish ??
Also is there anything any of us can do to try our best to lift the ban on snakeheads and gars??
Like you can only buy them with a photocopy of your id,and keep records of all snakehead owners?????

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Manda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2012
Philly, PA
How are they illegal if they're sold in lfs for some people?

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
I dont think just because a LFS sells it its not legal ;P

as for the id idea, it hardly works they do it here for crocs and snakes etc. people breed them or buy a few change the numbers some how and say some died then sell them off to people without licenses.

Plus if someone did let one into a river or so how would an ID Help? Sorry sir my fish died I did not know I had to report it, its in the bin.

people always find ways around it so the governments are never keen on allowing this type of stuff. maybe USA is different but theres a lot of talk here about this type of setup.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
As stated, there will always be irresponsible people in this world that will ruin it for every one...

Just coz most of us here wouldnt do something silly with our fish such as let them go, doesnt mean every one else follows the same rule...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Llamalord

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2009
Montana
As squirtle said registration would never work for a number of reasons, beyond that I don't see many bans lifting except with the possibilities of places where the snakeheads can't survive, too far up north for certain species for instance, or where they've already become pervasive in the wild and their restriction would no longer cease the spread.

Manda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2012
Philly, PA
You don't mean illegal than. You mean certain fish (if any) should not be put with irresponsible owners.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
How are they illegal if they're sold in lfs for some people?

You can find illegal fish for sale in LFS from time to time as they are usually mislabelled as different species. Mostly walking catfish and few piranhas & gars.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
the problem with laws in the US is once a law is passed its almost impossible to repeal. had i known half of what i know now as i did back when the talk of banning snakeheads i would have been much more active in trying to keep it from passing. imo it is one of few fish banned in the US that really shouldnt be. but do i own one? no, i respect the laws even if i dont agree with them. disreguarding the law only makes it that much harder on those trying to legally change them.

Manda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2012
Philly, PA
You can find illegal fish for sale in LFS from time to time as they are usually mislabelled as different species. Mostly walking catfish and few piranhas & gars.
True where I'm from I'm pretty sure most fish are legal. This place in jersey sells all different kinds of piranhas. Stuff I never thought I would see in my life. It's crazy. And this one chain fish store was selling a barricuda. Never thought I'd see that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store