Illegal fishkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEcreep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
North Jersey
True where I'm from I'm pretty sure most fish are legal. This place in jersey sells all different kinds of piranhas. Stuff I never thought I would see in my life. It's crazy. And this one chain fish store was selling a barricuda. Never thought I'd see that either.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
In jersey piranhas are not illegal, they are in some states around the northeast but here in nj theyre legal...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
In jersey piranhas are not illegal, they are in some states around the northeast but here in nj theyre legal...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
New York, piranhas are illegal (that is what I heard). Also California has lots of illegal fish for sale (not surprised).

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Simple fact is irresponsible people already let other types of fish into water ways in many areas and its damaging the local fish populations and even making some fish extinct and costing local authorities millions of dollars and because of that they have put bans to not allow those fish that are most likely to damage the local populations. You want a snakehead because they are an amazing predator fish with an amazing appetite. If they got into the local water ways where they could thrive in the water temp they would eventually kill just about everything.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Simple fact is irresponsible people already let other types of fish into water ways in many areas and its damaging the local fish populations and even making some fish extinct and costing local authorities millions of dollars and because of that they have put bans to not allow those fish that are most likely to damage the local populations. You want a snakehead because they are an amazing predator fish with an amazing appetite. If they got into the local water ways where they could thrive in the water temp they would eventually kill just about everything.
.......is that what the media feeds you with their misinformation? It doesn't make any senses that they banned whole snakehead genus because a solely cold-tolerant species got loose. 99% of snakehead species were subtropic/tropical and can't survive anywhere beside South Florida and Hawaii.

giant19000

Fahaka
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
THE AMAZON
I'm just trying to say I don't think irresponsible people should have them,ok I know there has to be something they can do to make sure the fish won't breed,and if it died make a contract that states any fish that died freeze it and return it,could not sell nor give away fish,fine if you do anything and break your contract and dint have the fish with jail time,no bail?
I think that sounds reasonable
I'm talking about all illegal fish not just snakeheads and gars

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

giant19000

Fahaka
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
THE AMAZON
.......is that what the media feeds you with their misinformation? It doesn't make any senses that they banned whole snakehead genus because a solely cold-tolerant species got loose. 99% of snakehead species were subtropic/tropical and can't survive anywhere beside South Florida and Hawaii.
Exactly

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Plus, nobody cares about bullseye snakehead in Florida for 20 years and goes unnoticed till its famous cousin, northern snakehead shows up 10 years ago. The bullseye snakeheads have co-existed with all natives and exotics for 20 years just fine. Also there's no negative impacts on ecosystem from northern snakeheads.

It's funny thing is that koi carp is allowed to be kept, yet their wild relatives (same species) causes negative impacts on ecosystems.

MonsterPeacock

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Colorado
depends on what you mean by legal? Like a LFS can sell walking catfish here in CO and their illegal... But the walking catfish is really only illegal to import into the states... Meaning that even though it's illegal and considered an invasive species it is NOT illegal to sell them here if they are already here or someone is breeding them within the states... Weird huh..

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
No I just know fish, and I also know people who are eco stupid friendly and other tree friendly types. Have you ever put wild cold water fish in with cichlids?? Do you think they can live in such waters for years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store