Im importing 30WC Imperial zebras Plecos into the USA, Please help!!!

COL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2006
San Diego
"My wife is a lawyer and she loves pleco's. Funny thing is she's not concerned about the laws in Brazil, of course we are sitting here comfortably in the U.S. ;). There's an old saying "when in Rome..........." So there's a difference between "legal'" and "ethical" If it's legal to import them then do it, enough said. Oh yeah I want one............or two?(wink)"

I'm confused as to what your point is. Not to sound like a dick, but I don't really care what your wife's feelings on the matter are. I'm more interested in the facts, which are that it is illegal to ship them out of Brazil, so ethics has nothing to do with it. It might be legal to import the fish from a source that has already smuggled them out of the country, but that wasn't my point.

But all things aside, it seems like your beliefs are that--and correct me if I'm wrong because this is what I'm getting from you--you don't care about Brazilian law, as long as you get your fish and are unimplicated, which is a misinformed mindset as any, and one that contributes to the destructiveness of this hobby.

Just my two cents. No hard feelings here.

Ullopincrate

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2008
South Eastern US
I would like to get a hold of a few of these. Also there are pre-ban zebras out there being bred who have nothing to do with this law. Of course. I follow the US laws. If I can import them fine. I don't care what Brazil thinks.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
COL;2860527; said:
"My wife is a lawyer and she loves pleco's. Funny thing is she's not concerned about the laws in Brazil, of course we are sitting here comfortably in the U.S. ;). There's an old saying "when in Rome..........." So there's a difference between "legal'" and "ethical" If it's legal to import them then do it, enough said. Oh yeah I want one............or two?(wink)"

I'm confused as to what your point is. Not to sound like a dick, but I don't really care what your wife's feelings on the matter are. I'm more interested in the facts, which are that it is illegal to ship them out of Brazil, so ethics has nothing to do with it. It might be legal to import the fish from a source that has already smuggled them out of the country, but that wasn't my point.

But all things aside, it seems like your beliefs are that--and correct me if I'm wrong because this is what I'm getting from you--you don't care about Brazilian law, as long as you get your fish and are unimplicated, which is a misinformed mindset as any, and one that contributes to the destructiveness of this hobby.

Just my two cents. No hard feelings here.

You are correct sir, I have absolutely zero interest in Brazilian law, I do have many interests, but Brazilian law is not one of them. No hard feelings and all joking aside the point I'm making is: I can only control my piece of the pie. As the customer my responsibility lies on the purchasing side. There are other pieces of the pie controlled by other agencies/people. If a product is imported legally then it's okay to buy it, done. High five if a customer wants to run through the paper work to see if their bamboo furniture was cut down by child labor, or "blood diamonds" were mined from Africa, or avocados picked by illegal's. That person has more "interest/time" than me. I just go to the pet store, see a fish I like, and buy it.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Due to people doing things like many of you say... the zebra pleco will likely not be around in the wild for future generations. The same reason that the salt water hobby is beginning to feel strains. I don't doubt that saltwater aquatics may be gone in only a couple of decades or less. As the buyer you should still have moral standings, and wiping out a species so you can have a couple at home, or to make some money is sad.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
WyldFya;2883481; said:
Due to people doing things like many of you say... the zebra pleco will likely not be around in the wild for future generations. The same reason that the salt water hobby is beginning to feel strains. I don't doubt that saltwater aquatics may be gone in only a couple of decades or less. As the buyer you should still have moral standings, and wiping out a species so you can have a couple at home, or to make some money is sad.
Unfortunately your correct, The Zebra pleco will not be around in the wild for much longer. Another unfortunate fact is habitat destruction is the # 1 cause of it's decline. The mining and heavy metal pollution along with the damming up the rivers and deforestation are destroying their habitat. The flip side to this is the Zebra pleco will live on and most likely thrive in aquariums because they are so desirable. Maybe one day after people get a clue the Zebra pleco will be re-introduced into their native habitat. I'm going to do my part to help the species before their river dries up. Save the Zebra Pleco!:headbang2

zenyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
OC, CA
Egon;2883408; said:
You are correct sir, I have absolutely zero interest in Brazilian law, I do have many interests, but Brazilian law is not one of them. No hard feelings and all joking aside the point I'm making is: I can only control my piece of the pie. As the customer my responsibility lies on the purchasing side. There are other pieces of the pie controlled by other agencies/people. If a product is imported legally then it's okay to buy it, done. High five if a customer wants to run through the paper work to see if their bamboo furniture was cut down by child labor, or "blood diamonds" were mined from Africa, or avocados picked by illegal's. That person has more "interest/time" than me. I just go to the pet store, see a fish I like, and buy it.
You contradict yourself.

First you say there's nothing one can do, and it's outside of your control.

Then you say kudos to those who boycott illegal things.

So there's something you can control. It doesn't take much to figure out zebra's are illegally exported ... like reading this forum. Consumers can control what they buy. It's not that hard.

But yes, there are other factors in this species decline.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Hypancistus zebra 2” 275.00 L 46 – yes, the ultimate small Hyp. species-wild ‘Imperial Zebra’ plecos!

http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/stock.html

This is in the classifieds today! Check out the web site too :)

I'm only going to buy one, whish I had more money!

COL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2006
San Diego
"You are correct sir, I have absolutely zero interest in Brazilian law, I do have many interests, but Brazilian law is not one of them. No hard feelings and all joking aside the point I'm making is: I can only control my piece of the pie. As the customer my responsibility lies on the purchasing side. There are other pieces of the pie controlled by other agencies/people. If a product is imported legally then it's okay to buy it, done. High five if a customer wants to run through the paper work to see if their bamboo furniture was cut down by child labor, or "blood diamonds" were mined from Africa, or avocados picked by illegal's. That person has more "interest/time" than me. I just go to the pet store, see a fish I like, and buy it."

Fair enough. To each his own, I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store