IM IN NEED OF HELP ASAP with green terror and macaw cichlid aggression

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
today i leave town so if something needs to be done it needs to be done immediately and im not sure if ill get a response fast enough. i impulsively bought a fish yesterday to replace 2 geos and a green texas that were killed a couple weeks ago. the green terror is under 3 inches and was the lowest fish on the totem pole. my other fish are large and could care less about the green terror so i think he may have established too large of a territory. either way these fish have been sparring and locking lips. the macaw is bigger than the green terror and there are plenty of rocks to hide in. will this aggression likely go away over the next couple days as a winner is decided. should i go buy more hornwart or driftwood to create more barriers before i leave?
if this was another cichlid like a green texas or JD i wouldnt be concerned however i have no experience with these fish and i dont know if it’ll actually hold its own. my green terror has only ever been spooked by the other fish so im surprised hes being so confrontational. anyway if any of you think that something would have to be done before i leave. the macaw hasnt been acred of the green terror but the green terror does seem to win when they lock lips. i also want to add another fish which i know i shouldve done yesterday to spread aggression but i could maybe grab another macaw or another cichlid today to midigate the aggression if you guys think that would be the absolute answer. i dont really want another macaw and i think itd make my tank overstocked in the distant future but i know that it’d probably fix the social dynamic. my final piece of information is an employee at the store had to take this fish back (thats about 4 in) for bullying a fully grown bichir and the other macaws, so id think itd be able to stand up for itself pretty well which is why i got it.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Cichlids fight, its part of what they do. You could try adding something like a convict to spread aggression, but usually once one picks something it hates, it won’t stop until the other is submissive. The green terror will be dominant, but they have to figure things out. Best thing you can do is rearrange the decor to mess up territories. Adding another fish can work, but there is no guarantee.
What else is in there? How big is the tank?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Cichlids fight, its part of what they do. You could try adding something like a convict to spread aggression, but usually once one picks something it hates, it won’t stop until the other is submissive. The green terror will be dominant, but they have to figure things out. Best thing you can do is rearrange the decor to mess up territories. Adding another fish can work, but there is no guarantee.
im aware ive kept cichlids my whole life however this is probably the longest lip locking dispute ive had. i cannot move the decor unfortunately because itd ruin the whole scape, but i was gonna add more draiftwood anyway( as i list the stocking it will sound severely overstocked but it really isnt and the tank looks surprisingly empty and i plan on buying a couple more larger tanks in the next year) i have 2 fully grown yoyos a bristlenose an oscar (im aware of risk with catfish and cichlids) a 3 spot gourami the green terror the macaw and a pleco. right now theyre in a 55 i believe. i plan on getting a 125 and 75 in the next year. i suppose the only thing im truly asking advice on is whether to do something before i go out of town because i know how fatal stress can be. do you have experience with parrot cichlids?

image.jpg

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
i also understand why you said convicts but im not the hugest fan of their color, some fish i was looking at was replacing my green texas (who got killed by my flowerhorn) or i was also looking at a fully grown electric blue acara. i dont know if the green texas’s tempermant would be beneficial, but that is the fish i wanted to put with the oscar in the 125 im gonna get. but i mainly want to know if its critical to make a change in the next 3 days or if i can probably do it when i get back? the green terror has stopped lip lockinh it seems and now does a dance above him like hes fertilizing eggs is this a sign of the aggression being resolved?

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Maybe I am the only one who doesn't know, but what are you calling a macaw? Is it a nicaraguensis, a blood parrot, Hoplarchus psittacus, or something else? Regardless slamming the tank full of hornwort and driftwood isn't a bad idea, neither is leaving the lights off, and a divider may come in handy here. Some people use mesh laundry baskets to hold a problem fish, but I have never seen it in a home aquarium. I don't know if the spring frame would be an issue in that small of a body of water.

This could also be a time for dithers like giant danios.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Maybe I am the only one who doesn't know, but what are you calling a macaw? Is it a nicaraguensis, a blood parrot, Hoplarchus psittacus, or something else? Regardless slamming the tank full of hornwort and driftwood isn't a bad idea, neither is leaving the lights off, and a divider may come in handy here. Some people use mesh laundry baskets to hold a problem fish, but I have never seen it in a home aquarium. I don't know if the spring frame would be an issue in that small of a body of water.
Nicaragua cichlid, true parrot fish, macaw cichlid, parrot cichlid

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Nicaragua cichlid, true parrot fish, macaw cichlid, parrot cichlid
i believe it is Hoplarchus psittacus but it does not look like the ones on google images so i cant say for sure. image.jpg

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
it is Hypsophrys nicaraguensis actually my bad

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store