I'm not happy with any of my tanks

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I have four Goldfish that are growing past eight inches long who live in a 75 gallon fish tank. But right now I'm in the process of finding my lovely pet Goldfish a 220 gallon tank but if a 360 gallon acrylic tank pops up I'm going to claim it for my four Goldfish.

If you have room in your house for a 125 gallon tank and the tank is in a basement on a cement floor then you can easily put in a 180 or a 220 or even a 300 gallon. A 180 gallon tank is only two feet longer and six inches deeper and six inches wider then a 75 gallon tank. While a 300 gallon tank is only twice as long as a 75 gallon fish tank.
wait for the hating comments to commence "What a waste of a tank"

LOL.....it's coming, get ready for it ;)

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
And this is something I've considered. Just focusing on much smaller fish in the fish, like Rams.
It sucks because I've really ruled ever owning a jag or butti unless I can set up a 300 gallon lol
imo you can enjoy smaller fish as much as the big ones...in the past month or so I was forced to break down my 90; so my friend has my cichlids. In my house I now have white clouds, and some cories in a hospital tank and thats it.

I'm actually enjoying the white cloud minnows, more than I did my cichlids tbh...because even though they're in a 60 litre long tank, they have quite literally 43x body length swimming room; and don't look constrained in the slightest.

I don't know if its something you're interested in, but planted tanks have recently really re-ignited my interest in the hobby...for once the fish are actually kind of secondary to the needs of the plants, but makes for a real challenge balancing everything. Plus side is that you can totally enjoy these smaller set-ups too, I recently bought a 15 litre cube and can't wait to start it; 6 months ago I'd have laughed if someone offered me that

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
And this is something I've considered. Just focusing on much smaller fish in the fish, like Rams.
It sucks because I've really ruled ever owning a jag or butti unless I can set up a 300 gallon lol
imo you can enjoy smaller fish as much as the big ones...in the past month or so I was forced to break down my 90; so my friend has my cichlids. In my house I now have white clouds, and some cories in a hospital tank and thats it.

I'm actually enjoying the white cloud minnows, more than I did my cichlids tbh...because even though they're in a 60 litre long tank, they have quite literally 43x body length swimming room; and don't look constrained in the slightest.

I don't know if its something you're interested in, but planted tanks have recently really re-ignited my interest in the hobby...for once the fish are actually kind of secondary to the needs of the plants, but makes for a real challenge balancing everything. Plus side is that you can totally enjoy these smaller set-ups too, I recently bought a 15 litre cube and can't wait to start it; 6 months ago I'd have laughed if someone offered me that

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I too wished that I would've waited to buy a 180g instead of my 135g but the deal was good so I jumped on it. I moved a lot of stock around and as of right now I have 20 tiger barbs, 4 geophagus, 2 Pimelodus blochii, and 4 rapheal cats in the 135g. Even I think my tank is too small for them.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I'm late to this, but I have my own rule. "Minimum" of 10 gallons of space per inch of adult cichlid (not per fish in a tank) or any good size fish, I mean a 10 inch fish, whether 1 or 3 fish, require "minimum 100 gallons.
Of course it is true that a 10" oscar will "survive" a while in a 75 gal tank. But will it act like a normal fish? I doubt it. When I see posts by those who complain there fish is lethargic, acting weird, or paranoid, the tank is almost always way too small.
I followed a 12" uropthalmus across a 100 yard cenote, and could barely keep up, and yet the fish was not laboring, just aimlessly passing thru.
Whenever I see someone recommending a 75 gal for an adult oscar, or jag, or any substantial cichlid, I realize they really have never watched these fish in nature.
And using the criteria that if a fish can turn around in a tank, it is then of adequate size for that fish to live, is to me equally ridiculous. A great dane can comfortably turn around in a small bedroom, but would you keep it in one 24/7.
I attended a lecture by one of the most respected experts on fresh water rays not long ago, who spends time studying them in S America, she said nothing under 300 gallons for the smallest rays.
Below, one of the small cenotes

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I'm late to this, but I have my own rule. "Minimum" of 10 gallons of space per inch of adult cichlid (not per fish in a tank) or any good size fish, I mean a 10 inch fish, whether 1 or 3 fish, require "minimum 100 gallons.
Of course it is true that a 10" oscar will "survive" a while in a 75 gal tank. But will it act like a normal fish? I doubt it. When I see posts by those who complain there fish is lethargic, acting weird, or paranoid, the tank is almost always way too small.
I followed a 12" uropthalmus across a 100 yard cenote, and could barely keep up, and yet the fish was not laboring, just aimlessly passing thru.
Whenever I see someone recommending a 75 gal for an adult oscar, or jag, or any substantial cichlid, I realize they really have never watched these fish in nature.
And using the criteria that if a fish can turn around in a tank, it is then of adequate size for that fish to live, is to me equally ridiculous. A great dane can comfortably turn around in a small bedroom, but would you keep it in one 24/7.
I attended a lecture by one of the most respected experts on fresh water rays not long ago, who spends time studying them in S America, she said nothing under 300 gallons for the smallest rays.
Below, one of the small cenotes
100% agree with this! My wife doesn't get how I love them so much but their is some special bond and I go out of my way to make sure they're doing well.

The best part is she thinks my fish are cheap...lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store