Important info needed banded bamboo (Cat) shark

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
So I recently, last Thursday, acquired a banded cat shark. She is about 6 inch maybe 7. Ate everyday and seems to be alert and interested in food.

Today, Monday I came home and noticed that once in a while she is flipping to her side, as if a freshwater fish starting to develop and to rid itself of ick.

When it flips it immediately goes back to normal.

I know she hatch about month ago. Maybe a little over a month old from hatching.

This was kinda a spree of the moment deal, I haven't owned a shark before, however I do have stingrays other predators.

Background on tank. She is in a 120 gallon with a 3 inch fun Manchu loin fish.
The ammonia was around 1.ppm. I did a 25 percent water change to correct this. Nitrates and nitrites are low. I also did use prime, detoxification , as I always do for my tank when there became a issue. I don't for see this being a huge deal however I am correcting it.

She only flips when it seems she is swimming". Not crawling like they do when they are first hatched.
She also seems to be doing it on purpose at times.

Can anyone give me some insight?
Is this normal for them to start swimming? "I know that a shark should never go on its back or side so I'm sure this is bad." Is there more wrong?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I recently, last Thursday, acquired a banded cat shark. She is about 6 inch maybe 7. Ate everyday and seems to be alert and interested in food.

Today, Monday I came home and noticed that once in a while she is flipping to her side, as if a freshwater fish starting to develop and to rid itself of ick.

When it flips it immediately goes back to normal.

I know she hatch about month ago. Maybe a little over a month old from hatching.

This was kinda a spree of the moment deal, I haven't owned a shark before, however I do have stingrays other predators.

Background on tank. She is in a 120 gallon with a 3 inch fun Manchu loin fish.
The ammonia was around 1.ppm. I did a 25 percent water change to correct this. Nitrates and nitrites are low. I also did use prime, detoxification , as I always do for my tank when there became a issue. I don't for see this being a huge deal however I am correcting it.

She only flips when it seems she is swimming". Not crawling like they do when they are first hatched.
She also seems to be doing it on purpose at times.

Can anyone give me some insight?
Is this normal for them to start swimming? "I know that a shark should never go on its back or side so I'm sure this is bad." Is there more wrong?
Something is irritating her your parameters should be stable at all times even a slight change of ph will cause problems. You may have to up the % of water changes and also make sure your filter can handle the bioload. Btw the Catshark will need a larger aquarium for life.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
So this is the water quality?

I'll do water changes once daily. I've always been a believer of 50 percent is to much. Should I do one tomorrow? And I know about the tank being to small. I'm in the process of setting up a 260 gallon.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Is it a bamboo shark or is it a cat shark as they are two different species?

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
Here is a picture. I brighten up it so you can see it better.
You tell me because it was sold to me as a banded cat shark. But I have been told it was a bamboo.

Photo Editor-20180709_211005.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah,thats a brownbanded bamboo shark.It peeves me when sellers can't be bothered enough to properly label the fish that they sell.It does a disservice to the customer.....anyhow,I have raised a few bamboos in the past and none have exhibited such behavior so I will go with what tlindsey suggests.Good luck.

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
I'll be doing another water change tonight, I do them incredibly slow so.

It bothers me that you can't trust a lot of the store owners. I trust one but he's not open till tomorrow and when things happen you guy on this i turn to.

Would doing another water change be to much?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'll be doing another water change tonight, I do them incredibly slow so.

It bothers me that you can't trust a lot of the store owners. I trust one but he's not open till tomorrow and when things happen you guy on this i turn to.

Would doing another water change be to much?

I personally would do another one of 25% but you will have to figure out the percentage per week that will keep parameters in check.

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
So I figured I would give everyone a update. Been doing water changes everyday since Monday. It's now Saturday going into Sunday.

She did the flip/rubbing this morning and before I did the water change tonight. After the water change, about 15 min she started to become more active, incredibly more active. She has been swimming not really waddling. She is also eating much more then when I bought her. Today started eating the fresh shrimp that I offer all the other fish instead of the store bought frozen stuff.
I also put Vitamins on the food.

Tested the water I still have trace amounts of ammonia and nitrates. So I know I'm not out of the woods.

Opinions? Moving forward, if she continues this, what should I try? The water test seems to be clearing so I can see that being the issue.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I figured I would give everyone a update. Been doing water changes everyday since Monday. It's now Saturday going into Sunday.

She did the flip/rubbing this morning and before I did the water change tonight. After the water change, about 15 min she started to become more active, incredibly more active. She has been swimming not really waddling. She is also eating much more then when I bought her. Today started eating the fresh shrimp that I offer all the other fish instead of the store bought frozen stuff.
I also put Vitamins on the food.

Tested the water I still have trace amounts of ammonia and nitrates. So I know I'm not out of the woods.

Opinions? Moving forward, if she continues this, what should I try? The water test seems to be clearing so I can see that being the issue.

Great to hear things are getting better. You may need to add more bio to your sump or add another filter if parameters don't stabilize.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store