In-bar tank filtration

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Currently building the bar base for a 210g (72”xL;29”xH;24”D) aquarium. The tank will only be about 6” or so off the ground as it’s being built into a basement bar. I have an FX6 I can use for filtration as well as a large HoB filter pretty much just used for water polishing. But my question is whether or not being on the same level as the tank itself will negatively effect the capability of the FX6 or not, and if someone has better ideas for a filter or unique ways to plumb the FX6 in this situation.

there will be about a 6” space worth of overhang from the bar top coming over the back of the tank; this overhang will be used to keep equipment contained and covered on the back of the aquarium. I will need to buy additional hoses at least to cover the span of the back of the tank since at best, the canister will be off to the side and have to stretch from one end to the other. I don’t see a ton of tanks built low to the ground like this, so I can’t seem to find much on filtration ideas.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Currently building the bar base for a 210g (72”xL;29”xH;24”D) aquarium. The tank will only be about 6” or so off the ground as it’s being built into a basement bar. I have an FX6 I can use for filtration as well as a large HoB filter pretty much just used for water polishing. But my question is whether or not being on the same level as the tank itself will negatively effect the capability of the FX6 or not, and if someone has better ideas for a filter or unique ways to plumb the FX6 in this situation.

there will be about a 6” space worth of overhang from the bar top coming over the back of the tank; this overhang will be used to keep equipment contained and covered on the back of the aquarium. I will need to buy additional hoses at least to cover the span of the back of the tank since at best, the canister will be off to the side and have to stretch from one end to the other. I don’t see a ton of tanks built low to the ground like this, so I can’t seem to find much on filtration ideas.
Tbh I have no experience with Cannister Filters but if other members say the Cannister Filter won't work then I suggest using more HOB Filters.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Look into corner matten filters or otherwise rigging up sponge filters in the back corners. You could also run two or three big hang on back filters on the back. An ac110 needs just 5" clearance off the back of the tank so youd be good there.

Im not a big canister guy myself, but when i did use an fx6, i found it worked best when the plumbing was simple and the input and output were the same length and at the same level.

What is the bar layout? Is it L shaped and the can is going in the back area? Or is it longer than the tank and the can going beside it? In either case i would get another fx6 and run one off each side. One fx6 wont provide enough flow or capacity for that size tank ime.

Reactions: tlindsey

ZIPLOCKEDBRZ

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2019
NH
i hope you you make a build thread for this... this is something ive always wanted to do and would love to see pics!

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Look into corner matten filters or otherwise rigging up sponge filters in the back corners. You could also run two or three big hang on back filters on the back. An ac110 needs just 5" clearance off the back of the tank so youd be good there.

Im not a big canister guy myself, but when i did use an fx6, i found it worked best when the plumbing was simple and the input and output were the same length and at the same level.

What is the bar layout? Is it L shaped and the can is going in the back area? Or is it longer than the tank and the can going beside it? In either case i would get another fx6 and run one off each side. One fx6 wont provide enough flow or capacity for that size tank ime.
thanks for the reply, budget restraint slowed my progress (kids are expensive lol) but this month my buddy is coming over to help me get this thing started.

The bar itself is a straight line flanked by two of the basement support pillars with a sink/kegerator going off to the side making an “L” shape (kegerator being the short part). There is just enough room between the kegerator and the support post to fit 1 FX6. The hoses for return/intake would be of rather drastically different length due to space issues, which is part of my concern. I have a penguin emperor 400 HoB filter now and could acquire a pair of AC 110s, but I also possess a set of wave makers to make up for the flow issues the FX6 will probably have there.
I will try and get pictures of the space I’m working with.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Between the two pillars is where the bar/tank is going, between the mini fridge and the post is where the FX6 would be going, which would mean some non-simple plumbing. The other picture is the last build, still needs to be wrapped in plywood around the base to finish it up, but it currently holds 2x 120g tanks and 1x 125g tank (which is being upgraded to a 180g once the bar is done).

61ED05C0-7ED0-4F03-A958-6F46DA59159C.jpeg

1A2DA7CA-03F6-4D08-8C9D-5FCEA4BF2083.jpeg

309341AA-5E4C-4B9E-B08B-61FEA0A87E01.jpeg

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
For reference, the tank will be heavily planted with water column feeders (stem plants, moss, Java fern, various anubias species) the majority of the floor space will be sand (Geophagus tank) with some large rocks and driftwood around the sides to hold the plants. The whole surface will be covered in frogbit I’ve been growing out. So the bio load of the tank will be helped a lot by that, I’m mostly worried about the mechanical filtration for the geos and the bottom dwellers (1x teugelsi bichir; 1x delhezi bichir; 2x red cactus pleco) those fish all make big waste.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
thanks for the reply, budget restraint slowed my progress (kids are expensive lol) but this month my buddy is coming over to help me get this thing started.

The bar itself is a straight line flanked by two of the basement support pillars with a sink/kegerator going off to the side making an “L” shape (kegerator being the short part). There is just enough room between the kegerator and the support post to fit 1 FX6. The hoses for return/intake would be of rather drastically different length due to space issues, which is part of my concern. I have a penguin emperor 400 HoB filter now and could acquire a pair of AC 110s, but I also possess a set of wave makers to make up for the flow issues the FX6 will probably have there.
I will try and get pictures of the space I’m working with.
I see. If its me, im just putting the input and output of the fx6 on the one end, close to the fx6 itself. Then hang one of those larger hob filters off the opposite end.

You might want to try different nozzles for the fx6 return. I found that a single 1" nozzle straight off the return hose provided the strongest stream that will cover more if your tank, in lieu of that two way nozzle that comes with the fx6. An ac110 might be better in this instance because ime they push about twice as much water as an emperor.

I wouldn't worry too much about bio capacity the fx6 should work fine.

Alternatively, if you find the fx6 location an annoyance or just not working out, i still think 3 ac110s across the back of the tank would work great.

Reactions: Supalah17
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store