In-wall aquarium

novice321

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2019
Hi all, new here and don't know much tbh, so hoping you all can kindly help me.

So I've bought a new house (London, UK) and I always wanted an in wall aquarium. So not sure if this would be relevant or worth knowing, but as you enter the house, you have the double doors to the dining room opposite you. On both sides there's a partition wall separating the hallway and the dining room. We decided it would go on the wall dividing the dining room and the hallway. But here's the thing, we could have two small tanks beside the double doors that lead into the dining room OR I could have one large tank on the left side (with you opposite the dining room) of the double doors.

If we go for the two tank option, then we think 900(w) x 500 (h) x 110mm (d) would be a good size in terms of aesthetics. It's quite slim as the drywalls are 11cm thick and we would like it to be flush on both sides to save floor space.

With the one tank option then i could go as far as 1500 x 1150 x 110mm.

1. However I am purely going by how it would look. I know they will be the home of living beings so what do you all think of the dimensions?
  2. In your opiion should i go for the one tank option or two tank in terms of practicality?
  3. Now just for one of the small tanks a shop here has quoted me in excess of £550 whereas if I make it myself, both of the tanks come to a cost of under £500. Here’s where I would need all your help.
    1. I’ve seen on youtube people building small tanks with 6mm glass. I guess this would be ok for the small tanks?
    2. For the larger fish tank: what should the thickness of the glass be?
    3. Would the larger tank need bracing?
    4. Might sound funny, but how do you make sure the aquarium doesn’t just come apart?!

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Hi all, new here and don't know much tbh, so hoping you all can kindly help me.

So I've bought a new house (London, UK) and I always wanted an in wall aquarium. So not sure if this would be relevant or worth knowing, but as you enter the house, you have the double doors to the dining room opposite you. On both sides there's a partition wall separating the hallway and the dining room. We decided it would go on the wall dividing the dining room and the hallway. But here's the thing, we could have two small tanks beside the double doors that lead into the dining room OR I could have one large tank on the left side (with you opposite the dining room) of the double doors.

If we go for the two tank option, then we think 900(w) x 500 (h) x 110mm (d) would be a good size in terms of aesthetics. It's quite slim as the drywalls are 11cm thick and we would like it to be flush on both sides to save floor space.

With the one tank option then i could go as far as 1500 x 1150 x 110mm.

1. However I am purely going by how it would look. I know they will be the home of living beings so what do you all think of the dimensions?
  2. In your opiion should i go for the one tank option or two tank in terms of practicality?
  3. Now just for one of the small tanks a shop here has quoted me in excess of £550 whereas if I make it myself, both of the tanks come to a cost of under £500. Here’s where I would need all your help.
    1. I’ve seen on youtube people building small tanks with 6mm glass. I guess this would be ok for the small tanks?
    2. For the larger fish tank: what should the thickness of the glass be?
    3. Would the larger tank need bracing?
    4. Might sound funny, but how do you make sure the aquarium doesn’t just come apart?!
If converted into inches the width you mention is only 4” wide I don’t think there’s any fish or anything you can keep at that wide, high, or long.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
:welcome: ya a 4" tank aint giving any options.

Reactions: Matteus

novice321

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2019
oh sorry just realised the link hasn't been allowed. Basically there's a site that's selling aquariums in the following size:

• Aquarium
    • Size: 32"l x 4 ⅜"d x 16"h
    • Material: ¼" extruded acrylic
    • Capacity: 9 U.S. gal
    • Removable lids

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
oh sorry just realised the link hasn't been allowed. Basically there's a site that's selling aquariums in the following size:

• Aquarium
    • Size: 32"l x 4 ⅜"d x 16"h
    • Material: ¼" extruded acrylic
    • Capacity: 9 U.S. gal
    • Removable lids
Like I said earlier there’s nothing you can keep at 4” height, depth, or width. There’s a lot of companies that make silly novelty things.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You could potentially keep cherry shrimp however I wouldn't bother as it wouldn't be worth it.

Reactions: Matteus

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Beta

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store