Hardness/TDS

Medications and/or water treatments used

How long tank has been in operation

How long fish in question have been in tank

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I will propose a survey with radio button and/or drop down box which will make starting a thread less of a challenge for newcomers

Different types of questions for different parts of the forums, not necessarily all parts

Eg: have you tested your water? Yes no
If the person click yes, PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate appears with the options from NA to whatever number applicable for those tests.

What size is your tank (in cm)? L B H with drop down box and numbers

How often do you change water? Daily, weekly, fortnightly, monthly

How much do you change? Drop down box with percentages

Etc... maybe a survey from 5 to not more than 10 useful questions, that will appear together with first post.

Regardless of survey answers, I would suggest posters being condescending or as some termed themselves as 'straight foward' to refrain from replying. 9 out of 10 times it becomes a war of words.

Questions has to be simple and something that a newbie can answer immediately

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
If I were to make a questionnaire, it might require these things ,

feel free to add important info I forgot, or clarify anything I haven't made obvious

Water parameters…..

pH….tank and tap…before and after water changes
Ammonia ppm
nitrite ppm
nitrate ….ppm……..before and after water changes.

Water source, municipal or private
How is it disinfected? Chlorine, Chloramine or non disinfected
tank temp

Average Water changes on tank(s)…….
how much
how often
size of tank

Stock …..
What species
how many, and estimated size of each (not just sick ones)

filtration
type?
…….canister
…….HOB
…….Sump
How often are they cleaned, how are they cleaned?
other

Disease Symptoms….are fish ……
lethargic…
bloated
spots
fuzzy patches (where on the body)
exces slime
distorted features
color changes
cloudy swollen eyes
is/was there aggression between species?

were fish quarantined before being added to tank?
Did the tank experience and previous disease out breaks?
In all honesty, by the time I answer your questionnaire, the fish would have died ☺

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Hardness/TDS

Medications and/or water treatments used

How long tank has been in operation

How long fish in question have been in tank
Agreed......and if the tank is new
and how long was the tank cycled?
how was it cycled?
.....fishless
.....with straight ammonia
.....something dead (like a shrimp carcass)
seasoned media

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Some good stuff so far.

1. Photographic evidence is always nice if possible. Just a thought Chicxulub Chicxulub , do you need a certain number of posts before posting pics, or can anyone post pics?

2. Would a question regarding how long they've been in the hobby be helpful? Get a feel for their level and tailor any further questions accordingly.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
These are all good ideas.
I fear that in an effort to stream line the process for us on the forum we will discourage new people from even posting.

let’s face it, a lot of newbies that are really just seeking an answer for a sick fish problem see a questionnaire to fill out, just won’t bother.

They would probably say to themselves:
if I knew all this that’s being asked, I wouldn’t need any help.

I feel the best we could do would be some sort of a reminder to test water and post the results for the basics: Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph and Temperature.
If you need more information than that, you would just have to ask.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would imagine that most serious fish keepers could rattle the answers to this stuff off the top of there heads in no time.
And in reality, this is the type info every fish keeper should have under their belt to keep an aquarium healthy, so if they don't immediately fill it out, they will be asked anyway, and need to spend the time to get it.
And if their fish are dead by the time they find the info, those fish would be dead soon anyway. There are very few quick fixes in the aquarium hobby, other that water changes.

Last edited:

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I think everyone here chimed in great points. I would like to give my perspective as a "noob". I've been keeping fish for several years, but only seriously started 2 years ago. When I first made a post here, I was trying to cure what I thought was parasites in my fish. I was asked about water parameters, and like most beginners I said the water was "fine". At that point, I did not have a proper water test kit (didn't know it was necessary) and had an outdated craiglist test strip many years old. Therefore, I suggest a questionnaire (instead of mandatory fill in) and maybe a sticky (honestly not sure if this exist) that easily helps outline essential things fishkeeper need such as a water test kit etc. Just wanted to give my perspective on it! Good Luck guys!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I will propose a survey with radio button and/or drop down box which will make starting a thread less of a challenge for newcomers

Different types of questions for different parts of the forums, not necessarily all parts

Eg: have you tested your water? Yes no
If the person click yes, PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate appears with the options from NA to whatever number applicable for those tests.

What size is your tank (in cm)? L B H with drop down box and numbers

How often do you change water? Daily, weekly, fortnightly, monthly

How much do you change? Drop down box with percentages

Etc... maybe a survey from 5 to not more than 10 useful questions, that will appear together with first post.

Regardless of survey answers, I would suggest posters being condescending or as some termed themselves as 'straight foward' to refrain from replying. 9 out of 10 times it becomes a war of words.

Questions has to be simple and something that a newbie can answer immediately
I think I like this approach best so far

Some good stuff so far.

1. Photographic evidence is always nice if possible. Just a thought Chicxulub Chicxulub , do you need a certain number of posts before posting pics, or can anyone post pics?
5 posts

2. Would a question regarding how long they've been in the hobby be helpful? Get a feel for their level and tailor any further questions accordingly.
I agree on the face of it, but I'm worried this question could intimidate some people into not talking. I need to brain this overfor a bit.

I'm getting close to reaching what I think is a good trial starter place for this idea.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I like the idea of a simple survey, it's intuitive and allows for people to give information they may not have thought about. Saves a lot of hassle

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store