Indian shovel nose

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
From reading a small number of database and journals I hypothesize that this may be the Myanmar native sperata acicularis which appear to sport slightly larger eyes and taller shoulders than sperata aor which can be found throughout india, bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal and upper Mayanmar. Unfortunately a complete hypothesis since getting accurate location info on youngsters is difficult at the best of times and finding good catalogue and journal Information on locations and pictures is even harder.
I would say yours are sperata aor victor, less pronounced shoulders even at 2.5'

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
From reading a small number of database and journals I hypothesize that this may be the Myanmar native sperata acicularis which appear to sport slightly larger eyes and taller shoulders than sperata aor which can be found throughout india, bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal and upper Mayanmar. Unfortunately a complete hypothesis since getting accurate location info on youngsters is difficult at the best of times and finding good catalogue and journal Information on locations and pictures is even harder.
I would say yours are sperata aor victor, less pronounced shoulders even at 2.5'
Very interesting! Thanks for the input

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you, Dave! I am glad you read and share.

What other symptoms did the fish have? I dont see anything else that would lead me to think that.
They varied but most involved sooner or later overall body swelling, redness, and in like 50% eventual death.

I am not saying your Sperata might have something similar. It's just my experience is recent and traumatic and hence comes readily to my mind. Many things can cause eyes to bulge out ... that is if what your fish displays is unnatural. My first inclination is to say it is unnatural but it could easily be my ignorance speaking.

Fishman Dave Fishman Dave does the pupil not being round alarm you?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Interestingly reading more from Ferraris and Runge at the biodiversity library on sperata, and looking at the size and shape of the head and eyes, I might even say this is Sperata Aorella which has a feature of a more compressed narrower head making the eyes seem larger and more protrusive.
I'll be honest - I had never even heard of Sperata Aorella but the drawings and descriptions sure seem to fit.
Would be nice to see photos from front and from above of this fish.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
They are distinguishable by their occipital bones, each 4 species have different structure. Have no idea bout the body shape but that's the only way to tell em apart by experts

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Interestingly reading more from Ferraris and Runge at the biodiversity library on sperata, and looking at the size and shape of the head and eyes, I might even say this is Sperata Aorella which has a feature of a more compressed narrower head making the eyes seem larger and more protrusive.
I'll be honest - I had never even heard of Sperata Aorella but the drawings and descriptions sure seem to fit.
Would be nice to see photos from front and from above of this fish.
I will try to get more pics later tonight and post them.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
As you mention, one way to identify type is via the occipital bone.
IMG_1871.JPG

Sperata Aorella being image C.

There are other distinguishable differences such as fin ray counts, preanal and total vertebral counts and gill raker counts but they all seem less conclusive and dependent on sample size, although all go to form the basis of the discovery of Sperata Acicularis as a separate species in 1999.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store