Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Reactions: dgsxdad

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's awesome and now I do recall seeing that FB image in the past.I'd forgotten about it.
Though admirable it seems rather futile to release so many of the fish into the wild....with them being up against so many risk factors.

Reactions: dgsxdad

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
That's awesome and now I do recall seeing that FB image in the past.I'd forgotten about it.
Though admirable it seems rather futile to release so many of the fish into the wild....with them being up against so many risk factors.
Yeah I definitely think they should raise them to at least a nice size and then release. Maybe into restricted area waters would be a good idea.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah I definitely think they should raise them to at least a nice size and then release. Maybe into restricted area waters would be a good idea.
That's probably what they do but the dangers still exist.Locals will still fish for and eat them if they can and then there is the environmental destruction due to polution and such.How do you keep fish in a restricted area lol?

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
That's probably what they do but the dangers still exist.Locals will still fish for and eat them if they can and then there is the environmental destruction due to polution and such.How do you keep fish in a restricted area lol?
Yeah I get what your saying. Usually restricted are guarded all the time. I have restricted waters in the state I live in and even out on the ocean we have areas to that if your in the restricted area the coast guard will come over and board you, fine you, etc. Not sure if that’s even a possibility over there.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah I get what your saying. Usually restricted are guarded all the time. I have restricted waters in the state I live in and even out on the ocean we have areas to that if your in the restricted area the coast guard will come over and board you, fine you, etc. Not sure if that’s even a possibility over there.
I just see the fish wandering wherever they want to...out of the protected zone as there is no way to keep them penned in.
Anyhow it's great that someone has achieved breeding to ensure the future of the species and as much as I would like to have another one it's perfectly okay if I never will again knowing that the species has been saved from extinction.

Reactions: FunWow!

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I just see the fish wandering wherever they want to...out of the protected zone as there is no way to keep them penned in.
Anyhow it's great that someone has achieved breeding to ensure the future of the species and as much as I would like to have another one it's perfectly okay if I never will again knowing that the species has been saved from extinction.
Yeah it only work if they closed off a big section of water way.

dgsxdad

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
San Francisco
Thanks for the info FunWow! Its great to know the ST (not SD like I was calling them) are being bred. Not sure why more havent gave it a shot especially in Asia where they seem more capable or willing of breeding hard to breed fish like Datnoids for whatever reason.

dgsxdad

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
San Francisco
Here is the indo I bought yesterday. The price was $160 and he is 4-5" minus $35 for a 14" kelberi I traded at my lfs. Not a big market here in San Francisco for peacock bass due to smaller houses which means smaller tanks. Anyways as for the dat, the owner said this will be the last indo be gets for a while so I'm happy I got him so now I have 3. Have him quarantined right now and will try to put him with the others in a week or so.

20180606_084141.jpg 20180606_084130.jpg

Reactions: FunWow!

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Thanks for the info FunWow! Its great to know the ST (not SD like I was calling them) are being bred. Not sure why more havent gave it a shot especially in Asia where they seem more capable or willing of breeding hard to breed fish like Datnoids for whatever reason.
A lot have tried for years but datnoids have always been a mystery fish so it isn’t easy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store