Interested in a reptile but know nothing about them

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Crestie was my first reptile. Very good beginner, like the hamster or lizards.
My setup has about 2 inches of substrate plus another 2 of moss. Lots of suction cup leaves on the side and a big cave in the center. They aren’t too picky about decor as long as there is sufficient hiding places. They like to curl up in thick leaves. She only goes down to eat and lay eggs. I just bought a water dish at petsmart (I use it to put her food in), they drink by licking droplets off glass and leaves, so a water dish isn’t 100% necessary, but certainly good to have. For the food I cut the bottom off of paper cups and use that so I don’t have to clean a dish every time.
The problem about the beardie humidity was that it was a desert reptile in too high humidity, cresties are supposed to be in humid environments, and they like low enough where it stays pretty stable. Just change out the moss often to keep it moist and humid. Get a hydrometer and a thermometer inside the cage to check temp and humidity.
No special lighting is necessary. UV and heat doesn’t hurt, but cresties thrive at room temperature and being nocturnal they don’t need uv.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Crestie was my first reptile. Very good beginner, like the hamster or lizards.
My setup has about 2 inches of substrate plus another 2 of moss. Lots of suction cup leaves on the side and a big cave in the center. They aren’t too picky about decor as long as there is sufficient hiding places. They like to curl up in thick leaves. She only goes down to eat and lay eggs. I just bought a water dish at petsmart (I use it to put her food in), they drink by licking droplets off glass and leaves, so a water dish isn’t 100% necessary, but certainly good to have. For the food I cut the bottom off of paper cups and use that so I don’t have to clean a dish every time.
The problem about the beardie humidity was that it was a desert reptile in too high humidity, cresties are supposed to be in humid environments, and they like low enough where it stays pretty stable. Just change out the moss often to keep it moist and humid. Get a hydrometer and a thermometer inside the cage to check temp and humidity.
No special lighting is necessary. UV and heat doesn’t hurt, but cresties thrive at room temperature and being nocturnal they don’t need uv.
How do I maintain the tank for him? Like how you do a water change for fish, how to you remove waste from the enclosure and how often to do it

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How do I maintain the tank for him? Like how you do a water change for fish, how to you remove waste from the enclosure and how often to do it
It’s going to crap on the glass, so you want to wipe that down when it does. For the most part the poop biodegrades, it’s not like a fish where weekly changes are needed. Every month or two I replace the dirt and moss in mine and wipe down the decorations. TBH I probably should do it more frequently. Cresties are pretty clean.
Make sure it doesn’t get out, they can be hard to find if they do, so if you have it out of the cage always have an eye on it, and always triple check that you locked up when done.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
So I’ll need coconut fibers or shavings? And moss what kind of moss do I use and how much? What to feed and how often to feed. Do I need any lighting type of heat lamp or heat pad? Is there anything I’m missing?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Cresties don’t need any special heating. They thrive near room temperature.
I use this:
1632094784216.jpeg
And this:
I use the moss to cover all exposed dirt areas, not a huge amount, usually about half of a brick. About 2 inches of dirt.
I feed this:
Ideally feed every 3 days or so. Realistically I feed much less because she likes to park herself right on the door where I can’t open it without risk of hurting her, so I’m on her schedule as to when she wants to eat. I have a side door I can mist with but it isn’t big enough to fit food through. They can go a while without food (and water), so it isn’t dangerous if you miss a feeding. I’ve gone 2 weeks, but again, every 3 days is best. Toothless got loose for 2 weeks and when I finally found her she still looked fine despite no food or water, if that gives an idea to their hardiness.
You eventually get a feel for their needs as each individual is different.
Kolton13 Kolton13 , anything I should add?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I use this:
View attachment 1473409
And this:
I use the moss to cover all exposed dirt areas, not a huge amount, usually about half of a brick. About 2 inches of dirt.
I feed this:
Ideally feed every 3 days or so. Realistically I feed much less because she likes to park herself right on the door where I can’t open it without risk of hurting her, so I’m on her schedule as to when she wants to eat. I have a side door I can mist with but it isn’t big enough to fit food through. They can go a while without food (and water), so it isn’t dangerous if you miss a feeding. I’ve gone 2 weeks, but again, every 3 days is best. Toothless got loose for 2 weeks and when I finally found her she still looked fine despite no food or water, if that gives an idea to their hardiness.
So all I need is the tank and substrate and food. And what are powder foods

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
So all I need is the tank and substrate and food. And what are powder foods
And lots of decor.
For powder foods, you take a small cup, put some powder in, and then about twice as much water, then mix it together into a paste. It may be liquidy to start, it will harden. They eat the paste. Crickets can be given as a treat. They also like fresh fruits, just research what is safe and what isn’t.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
And lots of decor.
For powder foods, you take a small cup, put some powder in, and then about twice as much water, then mix it together into a paste. It may be liquidy to start, it will harden. They eat the paste. Crickets can be given as a treat. They also like fresh fruits, just research what is safe and what isn’t.
What kind of decor? Do they like to climb? Do they like to hid in caves?

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I use this:
View attachment 1473409
And this:
I feed this:
Looks good. Only thing I’d add I’d that if perch her food. My crested didn’t like having it on the bottom. So I got like a mushroom perch thing for it

Reactions: Deadeye and Rtc/tsn

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Lucky. My country doesn’t allow any reptiles besides red ear sliders and box turtles. Lame.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store