Interested in a reptile but know nothing about them

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Kolton13 Kolton13 what size gecko should I buy when I get it? What do I need to look for to make sure he’s healthy or not

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What kind of decor? Do they like to climb? Do they like to hid in caves?
They are tree dwellers, so they like lots of branches and leaves. They also like to park on the glass a lot.
Mine is setup like this:
image.jpg
The hydrometer fell and I’ve been too busy/lazy to fix it. You can see the cups I use for food in the grey dish.
Kolton13 Kolton13 what size gecko should I buy when I get it? What do I need to look for to make sure he’s healthy or not
Common purchase size is around 2-4 inches head to tail. They get about 8. Definitely make sure they have their tails and no metabolic bone disease.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I think a crested is a great choice for first reptile. They are about as easy as it gets, and are very chill pets. Blue tongue skink or uromastyx are also good suggestions, but are more demanding in terms of the enclosure than a crested. I think a 18x24 would be about minimum for a crestie for life.
Good advice given so far, If I were you I would watch a bunch of youtube videos or read reptile specific pages though instead of just asking Q's on a fish forum. Tiki's geckos has a ton of videos.
One thing to consider is a bioactive vivarium, it is basically a living ecosystem where the plants use the gecko poop as fertilizer, and isopods/springtails clean the rest of it. if you don't have bioactive enclosure, it is important to clean the tank about once a week (go in and remove turds, wipe poop from walls etc) or it will start to stink.
Here's a thread I made on my bioactive enclosure for my gargoyle gecko (relative of the crestie). https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-vivarium-gargoyle-gecko.731615/#post-8251390
I have since sold this enclosure and built a bigger one that isn't bioactive, so now I have to go in and clean it out. Either way it's pretty easy to keep rhacodactylis geckos.

Reactions: Deadeye

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
They are tree dwellers, so they like lots of branches and leaves. They also like to park on the glass a lot.
Mine is setup like this:
View attachment 1473465
The hydrometer fell and I’ve been too busy/lazy to fix it. You can see the cups I use for food in the grey dish.

Common purchase size is around 2-4 inches head to tail. They get about 8. Definitely make sure they have their tails and no metabolic bone disease.
How do you tell about the bone disease

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
they’re tails will look abnormal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com