POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How do you tell about the bone disease
They will have bent spines/backs and tails. Hard to miss:
1632149336001.jpeg
Extreme example but you get the idea.
I will say that they have prehensile tails so do t confuse a curled tail for that though.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
They will have bent spines/backs and tails. Hard to miss:
View attachment 1473470
Extreme example but you get the idea.
I will say that they have prehensile tails so do t confuse a curled tail for that though.
They have prehensile tails? How gentle do I need to be with their tails? Obviously I’m not going to be rough at all but how easily do their tails drop and what are reasons it would drop it

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They have prehensile tails? How gentle do I need to be with their tails? Obviously I’m not going to be rough at all but how easily do their tails drop and what are reasons it would drop it
Under high stress they will drop it. Think like puffers inflating or horny toads shooting blood from their eyes, they don’t do it unless they have to as it is a lot of stress and potentially dangerous. Typically you want to avoid touching the tail or holding it, just to be safe. Cresties don’t grow it back. I’m not sure how easily it happens but I don’t feel like finding out any time soon. I did accidentally close the door on her tail once and she didn’t drop it despite being stuck (I did get her out quickly), so it’s not like they will drop it at any disturbance.
Their tails are not as prehensile as something like a chameleon, but they do have the ability to bend and curl it to grab on to vines better. They also have a sticky pad on the end of the tail to help grab on.
With that said, these are a very tame and handleable lizard as long as you are careful and recognize when they are stressed. Making noises, biting, or curling tails in an “S” shape are good signs that they aren’t happy with you.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Under high stress they will drop it. Think like puffers inflating or horny toads shooting blood from their eyes, they don’t do it unless they have to as it is a lot of stress and potentially dangerous. Typically you want to avoid touching the tail or holding it, just to be safe. Cresties don’t grow it back. I’m not sure how easily it happens but I don’t feel like finding out any time soon. I did accidentally close the door on her tail once and she didn’t drop it despite being stuck (I did get her out quickly), so it’s not like they will drop it at any disturbance.
Their tails are not as prehensile as something like a chameleon, but they do have the ability to bend and curl it to grab on to vines better. They also have a sticky pad on the end of the tail to help grab on.
With that said, these are a very tame and handleable lizard as long as you are careful and recognize when they are stressed. Making noises, biting, or curling tails in an “S” shape are good signs that they aren’t happy with you.
Thank you for the information.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
the exo terra paludariums are too small, thats why i want to make my own paludarium
Agree, the only one they sell is 12x12x24 which is basically good for tree frogs and baby anoles. Most of the exo tetra regular ones can be turned into pauladariums I believe. Easiest is to just take a fish tank and put a screen on top.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If you attempt a paludarium with a gecko make sure there are lots of ways for the lizard to get out of the water, and no ways for him to get stuck underneath an overhang or anything.
Also on the tails, if you are worries about them dropping it (though when I had a crestie mine never did, and I handled him alot) you could get a gargoyle gecko, their tails grow back if they drop them. They grow a bit larger tho so slightly larger tank needed.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
If you attempt a paludarium with a gecko make sure there are lots of ways for the lizard to get out of the water, and no ways for him to get stuck underneath an overhang or anything.
Also on the tails, if you are worries about them dropping it (though when I had a crestie mine never did, and I handled him alot) you could get a gargoyle gecko, their tails grow back if they drop them. They grow a bit larger tho so slightly larger tank needed.
I’ll add to gargs that they actually don’t have sticky feet like cresties.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store