Into the heart of darkness

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Nice. Looking forward to seeing the finished product
Once we get this house stuff ironed I'll be ready to rock n roll. If you were around me I'd give a couple of nice stumps and driftwood.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
If you’re going to do mostly fish, soft corals and Lps I wouldn’t worry to much about alkalinity and calcium. Usually it’s enough just to do regular water changes with a good salt mix for those mentioned.
Unless you pack the tank full of corals you should ok.
Now if you’re planning to continue to add corals and some sps then I would look into a calc reactor.
I never had a reactor and never got into SPS. I was always tinkering with diy things though.
Made up my own two part dosing with baking soda and calcium chloride solution for calcium and alk.
Tried Vodka dosing for Po4 removal.
Made my own kalkwasser mix for top off water out of pickling lime.
View attachment 1364198
View attachment 1364199
That makes me feel better. What you have there is similar to the mix I want. I don't have a desire to really go beyond hammer, frog spawn, & candy cane.

What was your solution with the pickling lime? Do you mind if I shoot you a pm if I have any questions?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
No I don’t mind. I will try to help if I can. This was several years ago so I may have to go back and refresh my memory a bit.
I used a couple tablespoons of pickling lime per gallon and shake or stir well.
I would let that settle for a few minutes and add the clear water to the top off reservoir.
If I remember correctly my reservoir held about four gallons so I could make it up in a five gallon bucket and it was good for about a week.
I used Mrs Wages pickling lime.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
So I did a quick search and it’s a teaspoon per gallon so the couple tablespoons I remember was for the five gallon bucket.
It’s will settle for several hours not a few minutes. It’s coming back to me bare with me lol

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
So I did a quick search and it’s a teaspoon per gallon so the couple tablespoons I remember was for the five gallon bucket.
It’s will settle for several hours not a few minutes. It’s coming back to me bare with me lol
That's awesome. Thanks.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
That's awesome. Thanks.
No problem. It will save you a fortune compared to actual kalk and it’s basically the same thing .
I also used to buy calcium chloride flakes like the kind used for ice melt and made my own calcium solution. I remember buying a bag and it’s lasted years vs buying the Kent marine calcium additive.
I used arm and hammer baking soda for the alkalinity.
This creates the two part dosing mixture that was so popular. It was sold as A and B dosing I think.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Once we get this house stuff ironed I'll be ready to rock n roll. If you were around me I'd give a couple of nice stumps and driftwood.
Destin isnt too far from st. Johns lmaooo

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Destin isnt too far from st. Johns lmaooo
Believe me I wish I could. I can't find anything for work that pays what I make down there. I might be getting assigned to the mill in contonment by pensacola though.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Believe me I wish I could. I can't find anything for work that pays what I make down there. I might be getting assigned to the mill in contonment by pensacola though.
Pensacola isnt to far from destin right ? Its on the gulf side i think

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Pensacola isnt to far from destin right ? Its on the gulf side i think
Panama city, Destin, pensacola, & gulf shores are all an hour apart of each other going east to west. Pensacola is under 4 hrs from where I live now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store