Introduced an Arowana, are these fish safe together?

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
Yeah ive noticed after he eats he goes searching as he is becoming more comfortable every day. The corys have been moved, love the name by the way! I almost tried smuggling 40 bluegill eggs to england in bottles from the US but my family persuaded not too lol!

Thanks, I came up with the name for fishing forums originally because Bluegills are my favorite fish to go after. Have you checked with fish farms or wholesalers to see if you can buy some, or are they banned in England?

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
Yeah silvers get pretty big! I couldn't keep anything with mine once he got past a foot long (12 inches). He even started to give my Oscar some aggression. Here is what a quick Google search brings up on silver arowanas http://arowana-fish.org/species-silver/

I would also watch the surface of the tank and make sure you have a cover :mad:
Mine bites at the tails of the polypterus if they don't go all the way into their hideouts.

Juiceh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2015
Chesire, England
Yeah sorry, I have 7 tanks set up as of yesterday so I have some idea of what I am doing, after watching the river monsters episode and doing some research I now realize even thinking of getting a gar is out of question. Would a 2000L ply/acrylic tank be okay to house him for life or is that pushing it? No they are not all in one tank, yesterday I moved my hoplos (one is also trying to build a nest as I have a breeding group, wahey!) convicts and my clown into a fresh 100L. Giving everybody in my 340 a bit more room. Ammonia and nitrite are 0 although I have to do a weekly 30/40% water change to keep it that way and nitrate is 35, I have a 1500l/per hour and 2 double headed sponge filters at each end so it is well maintained. Also, I cannot find how big tin foils max out at, do you have any idea? Every video I see of fully grown ones suggest mine wont get much bigger but I doubt that, biggest is 8inch at the mo. Sayersweb your brave is it common to be able to keep a shoal with them? Thanks Abby I specially built a glass top for him a few days before he came and its very thick. Its even been tested with my gas pistol, I am not worried lol. THQ I appreciate your concern its kinda reassuring judging some of the facebook groups I have seen. I would love to keep bluegill, they are such fun little fish. They are highly illegal in the UK because of people like me. Id be filling ponds up left right and center, more interesting than damn common carp! We cant even bowhunt them here. It sucks lol

Juiceh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2015
Chesire, England
Realistically, over the next few months, I only plan on keeping the silver with just my common/gibby plecs and a breeding pair of Nicaraguan cichlids as they can deffo hold there own. He still wont eat pellets. But he is eating bits of frozen mussel here and there. I am in the process of giving him a week off crickets now to try and swap his diet over. He isn't being totally starved as he jumps on some of the frozen mussel so I hope he makes the swap soon. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.

THQ

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Also, I cannot find how big tin foils max out at, do you have any idea? Every video I see of fully grown ones suggest mine wont get much bigger but I doubt that, biggest is 8inch at the mo. Sayersweb your brave is it common to be able to keep a shoal with them?
Tinfoil barbs get to at least a foot, usually 14" apparently. And they should be kept in schools and are strong active swimmers who appreciate lots of open space. I have never owned a tank large enough to accomodate such fish, but have seen a school of them in my LFS. A school of 5 or so sub-footers looked a bit cramped in a 6ft tank, as they like to swim. Fully grown adults probably need an 8 ft to swim and school properly.

Juiceh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2015
Chesire, England
That's real nice to know would love to see some around that size. I can only ever find them at 8 and under, yeah I hate how some people keep one in a tank and think its okay. Mine never leave each others side they are great, idk if you class 3 as a school but until I upgrade I don't plan on adding any more. They certainly do swim a lot would love to see them in their natural habitat in a huge shoal, you should hear them hit food at the surface, they don't half make some noise!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store