Inventory of Fish in 15,000 gallon tank the Mini Mega and new Pictures (Update)

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
This is without a doubt the best thread I have ever followed on any forum.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
Cool Tank, good luck with it. When I get my my own place and finish school ill probably build a large indoor pond instead.

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Hey Dad, so when are you going to allow me to stay at your house? :rolleyes::beer:

Sent from mobile app.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
The 56,700 litre tank (15,000 gallon) has been sectioned off with a 1cm/1cm plastic mesh to make 3 separate compartments.

The first is 14,000 litres and house the australian lungfish and a few others listed.
The second is 36,700 litres and houses the majority of the fish
The third is 6,000 litres and houses the aba aba

I want to thank all my Monster Fish Keeper friends who caught the tank and moved the approx 180 fish to an outside pond in July:

Terry Clements,
Richard Coffron,
Jeff Mountjoy,
Noel Nathaniel and Yen,
James Holland,
Dave Aquarium Services Hamilton,
Kevin Parent,
and Nikki Coffron

and who performed the maintenance required and then some of whom caught the fish in September from the pond and returned them to the 56,700 litre tank.

Maintenance:

1. Painted tie rods with rust paint
2. Painted the existing liner paint with liquid rubber
3. Inserted 8.75cm x 1.27cm panels to link existing larger panels of glass to prevent rusting of the steel posts
4. Removed most of the rocks just leaving larger pieces
5. Added about 60 larger pieces of bogwood

When inside the tank it was noticed that one tie rod was weakened by rust. Since wood 8.75cm x 8.75cm holding the lighting rest on the tie rods I devised an 5.08cm black ABS structure throughout the tank to support all the wood supports so that if/when the tie rods fail they will still be supported.

Nikki, Dave and Kevin built the structure .

Problems:

1. I still need to seal the dividers a bit better as smaller fish like Rocio octofasciatus are able to cross over. The main purpose was to keep the australian lungfish in one compartment and the aba aba to remain in his compartment both of which is OK. However any small fish that are able to get into the aba's area are killed and eaten.
Most of the fish that were listed in the tank before have either been given to friends, moved to the 196kl, moved to other tanks or died.

2. The tank was empty of water for 9 weeks causing a panel to get a crack in it in the eighth week.

Resulting in Dave and Kevin applying a patch on that panel before the tank was filled with water.

3. The liquid rubber took a long time to cure and was still tacky in spots even after 8 weeks.

4. The liquid rubber did not adhere in some small spots/areas in tank and lifted off. Could be caused by peoples feet on the spots when working or the fish.

Updated list of fish as of October 5th 2013.

The lines represent: year obtained quantity of species genus species order family common name

Section A approx 14,000 litres

1990 1 Hemisynodontis membranacea Siluriformes Mochokidae mustache synodontis
2010 1 Hydrocynus Sp. (sold as goliath but not) Characiformes Alestiidae tiger fish
2011 8 Mylossoma aureum? Characiformes Characidae mylossoma
2006 1 Neoceratodus forsteri Ceratodontiformes Ceratodontidae australian lungfish
2008 1 Potamotrygon reticulated Myliobatiformes Potamotrygonidae reticulated stingray

Section B approx 36,700 litres

2007 1 Amphilophus urophthalmus Perciformes Cichlidae orange tiger
2007 2 Astronotus ocellatus Perciformes Cichlidae oscars albino
2007 1 Astronotus ocellatus Perciformes Cichlidae oscars tiger
2001 1 Atractosteus tristoechus Lepisosteiformes Lepisosteidae cuban gar
2009 4 Barbonymus (Barboides, Barbus) schwanenfeldii Cypriniformes Cyprinidae tin foil barbs
2008 2 Barbonymus (Barboides, Barbus) schwanenfeldii Cypriniformes Cyprinidae tin foil barbs
2007 1 Boulengerochromis microlepis Perciformes Cichlidae tanganyika giant cichlid
2013 1 Boulengerochromis microlepis Perciformes Cichlidae tanganyika giant cichlid
2012 1 Calophysus macropterus Siluriformes Pimelodidae giant pimidilodus, vulture catfish (The larger one was moved to my 196,560 litre tank)
2012 1 Cichla ? Characiformes Cynodontidae peacock bass
2007 1 Hemibagrus (Mystus) wyckii Siluriformes Bagridae crystal eyed cat
2009 3 Heros Sp. rotkeil Perciformes Cichlidae severum red shoulder
2012 4 Heros Sp. rotkeil Perciformes Cichlidae severum red shoulder
2010 1 Hypostomus plecostomus Siluriformes Loricariidae pleco
1996 8 Hypostomus plecostomus Siluriformes Loricariidae pleco
2011 6 Hypsibarbus wetmorei Cypriniformes Cyprinidae lemon finned barbs/diamond shark
2001 2 Lepisosteus oculatus Lepisosteiformes Lepisosteidae florida spotted gar
1999 1 Leporinus affinis Characiformes Anostomidae banded Leporinus faciatus
1999 1 Leporinus agassizi Characiformes Anostomidae leporinus
2009 1 Leporinus arcus Characiformes Anostomidae lipstick leporinus (arcus)
1994 1 Leporinus fasciatus Characiformes Anostomidae banded Leporinus faciatus
1996 1 Leporinus fasciatus Characiformes Anostomidae banded Leporinus faciatus
1999 2 Leporinus fasciatus Characiformes Anostomidae banded Leporinus faciatus
2000 2 Leporinus friderici Characiformes Anostomidae Leporinus friderici
2009 1 Myleus micans Characiformes Serrasalmidae giant redfin silver dollar
2009 3 Myleus rhomboidalis Characiformes Serrasalmidae yellow hooks
2009 1 Myleus schomburgki narrow bar Characiformes Serrasalmidae schomburgki narrow bar
1997 5 Myloplus(Myleus) rubripinnis Characiformes Serrasalmidae red hook
1996 1 Myloplus(Myleus) rubripinnis Characiformes Serrasalmidae red hook
2010 1 Nandopsis haitiensis big male Perciformes Cichlidae haiti I bred this one and he measured over 42cm sept 2013.
2012 1 Neolissochella stracheyi Cypriniformes Cyprinidae mahseer blue
2007 1 Osphronemus exodon Perciformes Osphronemidae The Elephant ear Goramy
1997 1 Osphronemus laticlavius Perciformes Osphronemidae The Asian Goramy red tail
2006 3 Paraneetroplus (Vieja) synspila (synspilus, synspilum)) Perciformes Cichlidae synspilus
2006 1 Plecostomus sp. Siluriformes Loricariidae chocolate/yellow
2008 1 Potamotrygon motoro or orbignyi Myliobatiformes Potamotrygonidae stingray male
2008 1 Potamotrygon motoro or orbignyi Myliobatiformes Potamotrygonidae stingray female
2012 1 Potamotrygon perhaps laticeps (sold as hystrix) Myliobatiformes Potamotrygonidae stingray male
2012 1 Potamotrygon perhaps laticeps (sold as hystrix) Myliobatiformes Potamotrygonidae stingray female
2008 1 Potomotrygon motoro or orbignyi Myliobatiformes Potamotrygonidae stingray female
2008 1 Potomotrygon motoro or orbignyi Myliobatiformes Potamotrygonidae stingray female
2009 8 Rocio octofasciatus Perciformes Cichlidae jack dempsey
1999 1 Schizodon fasciatus Characiformes Anostomidae Schizodon (barred/spotted)
2000 1 Sorubim lima? Siluriformes Pimelodidae shovelnose
1988 3 Synodontis budgetti Siluriformes Mochokidae black synodontis
2001 2 Synodontis notata Siluriformes Mochokidae notatus synodontis
1999 1 Tilapia buttikoferi Perciformes Cichlidae buttikoferi

Section C approx 6,000 litres

2000 1 Gymnarchus niloticus Osteoglossiformes Gymnarchidae aba aba

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Actually with the changes I made a few posts back #515 it has changed and beauty was not my object.

The keep up involves mostly cleaning the floor drains as the liner continues to peel and clog them.... to bad as I liked the dark colour it provided.

The aba enjoys the expanded area and the lungfish really is very active in the 15k litre section.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store