IOS vs OHF filtration

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used both, and as far as filtration goes, they both do the same thing, just as equally.
Its really about ease of maintenance, and what is simpler to do for you.
If one makes maintenance easier for you than the other, and you do it more regularly, that's the best.
If you don't like bending down, or crawling around to clean media, then maybe overhead is better.
With my 300+ system, I put my sump slightly lower than the main tank to make use of gravity, but also off to the side so I can easily reach in unimpeded for maintenance with too much contortion, kneeling or even bending.

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
Yes everything is ease of maintenance for me...if changing and rinsing media and sponges is a burden for people...they should choose to use equipment thats easy and fast like hobs and sumps. I've drawn away from canisters a long time ago.....I'd rather toss and replace polyfill and rinse some sponges compared to taking things apart and being worried if a broken seal will flood my house. 100% agree with duanes....its all the same....just think of your filtration as a trash compactor.....get all the crap in one spot and clean out regularly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store