Iridescent Shark / Pangasius Catfish

shane r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
brisbane
i think i have a iridescent shark with fin rot and cloudy eyes that i bought any ideas for remedies besides clean water and and salt , i also tried melafix and keep in mind hes in with a ray

thanks shane r

RastaCatfish37

Feeder Fish
Oct 15, 2010
Chambersburg, PA
Greetings from Chambersburg, PA!

I have been in the Tropical Catfish hobby for about two years now and am tired of the bad press for keeping Pangasius Sutchi catfish as pets. All over the internet-so much negativity labeling them "Tank Busters" and poor pets because of their skittishness and large growth potential.

My philosophy is-if you have a strong desire to be a good pet owner for these catfish and will go to any length to give them the best life possible-they can make great pets in a home aquarium.

I have discovered through trial and error, research and dogged persistence that with certain accommodations they can make great pets.

Certain tips I can give in my progress as a keeper of this species is:

1)Buy them small in a school of five to reduce their skittishness

2) Minimum 75 gallon rectangular tank with the knowledge before purchase that the time may come for you to A) Have to upgrade to a bigger set-up to accommodate if they live long enough to outgrow your tank or B) You will have to reduce them in number after they reach a certain size in a 75 gallon set-up

3) Buy a Power head. This propeller-like device creates a simulation of river currents that helps them excercise, stay busy and accommodates some for being cramped as they grow

4) Don't use bright lighting. Use night-time lighting or blacklight. They are sensitive to bright light and having either no lighting (other than natural light) or darker lighting reduces their skittishness

5) Don't put them with aggressive fish. They are not aggressive. I reccommend putting them with other peaceful tropical catfish like Sun Cats. They are not sharks-they are catfish.

6) Keep the water on the warmer end of their natural temp ranges to reduce their succeptibility to ick. I lost several sets of schools of five to disease until I finally got a set to stick and stay

7) Use aquarium salt, prime (water conditioner) & Neutral regulator or pH down (keep the p.h between 6.5 and 7.0)

matt_rs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2010
Wakefield, UK
I have three 11 month old ID sharks in my 4 foot tank, they have only grown to 4 inch with a larger one getting to 6 inch and have been no trouble at all. I think a lot of the bad press online is due to a fish than can get to 4 foot which is the Pangasius Bocourti.
When people scaremonger about the Hypophthalmus it's always with a pic of an Oriental fisherman holding a 3 foot Bocourti!
ID sharks are sold in every Fish store where I live and none advertise (or stock) them over 12," They all advertise Silver Sharks at 10-14" so there might be something in that?

KorVetteLou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Ronkonkoma New York
www.facebook.com
beautiful fishie, I have two ID'sharks my self, Thought The ID shark Paroon shark and Emperor shark were all the same thing, But im comming to realize the fins ARE different, I thought my sharks were sick or had issues because their dorsal fin isnt shaped like a shark (triangular) but, seems to be thats an ID shark (Pangasius Catfish) and Emperor sharks are totally different

ernielemon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2012
Deltona, FL
I have two "ID Sharks" they are both about 16 inches they have a great personality and are current in a 180 gallon 6 foot long two wide and 3ish tall, they are in there with a 12 inch albino oscar two plecos and a 8 inch florida gar, i know its a weird combo and isn't advised but everyone gets along my oscar is not aggro and the gar is not skittish at all everyone is happy and i have no issues :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store