Is a 96 x 24 x 24 big enough for an adult Siamese Datnoid?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I don't have ine yet. Just preemptively asking if an adult would fit this size tank or not.
A full grown Dat can get nearly 2 ft long, so you would need a wider tank. However, the equally important question is if your checkbook would fit that fish -- ST Dats, if you could even find one, go for about US$5,000-$10,000 :) Indo Dats are much cheaper, but there's still the size issue -- 24" tanks simply aren't suitable for many monster fish (when adult sized).

Here's a big Indo Dat around 20" -- he would be pretty cramped in a 24" tank:

Super sized Dat 1 m.jpg

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
A full grown Dat can get nearly 2 ft long, so you would need a wider tank. However, the equally important question is if your checkbook would fit that fish -- ST Dats, if you could even find one, go for about US$5,000-$10,000 :) Indo Dats are much cheaper, but there's still the size issue -- 24" tanks simply aren't suitable for many monster fish (when adult sized).

Here's a big Indo Dat around 20" -- he would be pretty cramped in a 24" tank:

View attachment 1390982
1) Oh really? There's that expensive? Even in Canada? If that's true, then in the future and I have money for a $5000 fish, I would think I could afford to build a new tank.

2) And how long exactly can one get? I am going to have 18 Piraya in the tank and he'll be fine.

3) And I just read the sticky on the Datnoid portion of the forum and it says 6x2x2 is big enough for both the Siamese and the Indo. Is this wrong?

4) Do Indos get above 18 inches?

Reactions: dr exum

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
1) Oh really? There's that expensive? Even in Canada? If that's true, then in the future and I have money for a $5000 fish, I would think I could afford to build a new tank.

2) And how long exactly can one get? I am going to have 18 Piraya in the tank and he'll be fine.

3) And I just read the sticky on the Datnoid portion of the forum and it says 6x2x2 is big enough for both the Siamese and the Indo. Is this wrong?

4) Do Indos get above 18 inches?
1) Yes, ST Dats are nearly extinct in the wild and are super difficult to breed in captivity.
2) I don't know for sure but 20+ inches is definitely within the realm of possibility.
3) A 6X2X2 would be ok, but my preference would be for something wider when it got to adult size.
4) The Indo in the photo I just posted above is about 20".

Akeno071

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2015
A full grown Dat can get nearly 2 ft long, so you would need a wider tank.
I'm curious about this. I've been reading up on Arowana threads so I'd know what kind of tank I would need for one down the line and found that a 9x3x3 tank for them is considered suitable despite Arowana size reaching up to 3ft.
So that's a 3ft fish in a 3ft tank, but your suggesting a 2ft fish in a 2ft tank wouldn't be suitable?

I don't know much about datnoids, so if theres a reason it wouldn't work for them I wouldn't know. So I'm curious.

Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I'm curious about this. I've been reading up on Arowana threads so I'd know what kind of tank I would need for one down the line and found that a 9x3x3 tank for them is considered suitable despite Arowana size reaching up to 3ft.
So that's a 3ft fish in a 3ft tank, but your suggesting a 2ft fish in a 2ft tank wouldn't be suitable?

I don't know much about datnoids, so if theres a reason it wouldn't work for them I wouldn't know. So I'm curious.
It all depends on where and who you ask. In Asia most people will say 2' tank is ok for Arowana; in the West most would say that's too small and that at least 3' is best for Asian Arowana, most of which very rarely get to a full 3', most are closer to about 24". Silver Arowana on the other hand can get even longer, so most people would say 4' wide is eventually required (at adult size).

For Arowana and many other monster fish it is recommended that the width be at least 1.5 times the length of the fish. Think about it: if you were a 2' fish in a 2' tank you'd barely be able to turn around. Putting it on a smaller scale, would you keep a 3" fish in a 3" wide tank? Some people are ok to scrunch fish into tanks, I personally am not. I have 2 Asian Arowana in 2 X 325g tanks that are 84X32X28. The fish are currently about 15" & 17". In a year or two it's likely I will need to upgrade to bigger (esp. wider) tanks.

For Dats a 2' tank would be fine for quite a while (they're very slow growers compared to most other fish) -- but as I said above, my preference would be for something wider when it got to adult size. The more room you give your fish the happier and healthier they will be.

Reactions: Gage Zamrzla

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada

I get why a 2 foot fish wouldn't be good in a 2ft tank but if it is shy of 2ft and has a little bit of room there, I would think it would be fine. But I'm new so what do I know. I don't say that sarcastically. Kind of read that way so figured I'd clear that up.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
It all depends on where and who you ask. In Asia most people will say 2' tank is ok for Arowana; in the West most would say that's too small and that at least 3' is best for Asian Arowana, most of which very rarely get to a full 3', most are closer to about 24". Silver Arowana on the other hand can get even longer, so most people would say 4' wide is eventually required (at adult size).

For Arowana and many other monster fish it is recommended that the width be at least 1.5 times the length of the fish. Think about it: if you were a 2' fish in a 2' tank you'd barely be able to turn around. Putting it on a smaller scale, would you keep a 3" fish in a 3" wide tank? Some people are ok to scrunch fish into tanks, I personally am not. I have 2 Asian Arowana in 2 X 325g tanks that are 84X32X28. The fish are currently about 15" & 17". In a year or two it's likely I will need to upgrade to bigger (esp. wider) tanks.

For Dats a 2' tank would be fine for quite a while (they're very slow growers compared to most other fish) -- but as I said above, my preference would be for something wider when it got to adult size. The more room you give your fish the happier and healthier they will be.
Does this apply to Indonesian Dats too? The sticky says they get up to 18 inches rarely in an aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store