Is anyone able to identify this Cichlid?

getmethatgeoplease

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2019
First time in th MFK community so I hope I’m ok asking for ID help. She looks to be a type of Geophagus but the store I bought her from didn’t know for certain which type she was. I have her with 5 G. Tapajos at the moment but would like to see if need to get more of her Geo type. She was just recently added to the tank so her colors may not fully there.
ACA47C50-3D77-46E1-947D-18F7DCD91E45.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
First time in th MFK community so I hope I’m ok asking for ID help. She looks to be a type of Geophagus but the store I bought her from didn’t know for certain which type she was. I have her with 5 G. Tapajos at the moment but would like to see if need to get more of her Geo type. She was just recently added to the tank so her colors may not fully there.
View attachment 1392623

Welcome aboard

If possible take another pic when Geo colors up so it can be easier to ID.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
True surinamensis are very rare. There are however lots of closely related species which look very similar to surinamensis and are more readily available. My guess is it's one of these related species.

getmethatgeoplease

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2019
True surinamensis are very rare. There are however lots of closely related species which look very similar to surinamensis and are more readily available. My guess is it's one of these related species.
I was actually going to ask about this since I thought I had read they were very rare. Do you have a list of the related species that I could look at so I can compare them to the one I have?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I was actually going to ask about this since I thought I had read they were very rare. Do you have a list of the related species that I could look at so I can compare them to the one I have?
Unfortunately I don't have a full list of the related species
Cichlidae has cichlid species profiles which are usually accurate, can take a look here https://cichlidae.com/genus.php?id=87
Or another one https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=31

Reactions: getmethatgeoplease

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I don’t see a midlateral spot at all which would indicate altifrons. These, along with abalios, both get exported frequently from Colombia and are almost always listed incorrectly as surinamensis, which used to be a catch-all name for the surinamensoid-type geos.

Reactions: getmethatgeoplease

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here (below) are a couple a paragraphs from the book South American Eartheaters, by Weidner, about surinamensis, and other lookalike species.
" From an aquarists viewpoint, characters which can be used to differentiate this species (surinamensis)from other members of the genus include the absence of dark markings on the head (contrast G. proximus, G argyrostictus, G.branchybranchus, G. harrier, G. taeniopareius, G. grammepareius): the always visible lateral spot encompassing several scales, which in adults and/or depending on mood may become pale but is still clearly visible asa light spot (contrast G. megasema, and G proximus, which exhibit an obviously larger lateral spot, and G altifrons, which has no lateral spot or only a small one): the irregular spotting of the central part of the caudal (contrastG brokopondo, with spots arranged vertical rows, and G megasema, with a horizontal stripe pattern the tail): plus the deep-bodied shape (contrast G.camopiensis, G harrier)."
He also writes...
"The most important criterion for identifying G surinamensis is not so much the body and coloration, but the locality, as current wisdom is that only specimens from Surinam and French Guiana should be assigned to this species."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store