Is Eheim internal filter worth the money?

SK13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
Just checked the price of EHEIM Classic External Canister Filter with Media. Its is around $ 87.57 in Amazon! Is it worth buying? The cheap internal filters serve the same purpose, so is it worth spending that much money on eheim filters?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
External canister filters offer more space for media, including mechanical, bio-media and chemical (if needed) compared to the usually smaller internal filters.

There are other options available such as sumps, over the tank filters, etc.

What size tank do you have and what fish are you keeping?

You need sufficient filtration to remove debris from the aquarium and provide bio-filtration to process nitrite and ammonia products.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
The thing with the Eheim Classic external filters is their reliability and longevity. And they don't take up space inside your tank, giving your fish more room, and having the more pleasing optics of a clutter-free tank.

IMO the classic Eheim are worth every penny. Especially considering the fact that their lifespan is measured in decades, not years.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I run sunsun canisters, there good cheap filters but over a few years they work out more expensive then eheim as they don't last as long and use more power, when I replace them I will go back to eheim

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
The Eheim classics are bulletproof, and also just simplicity at its best; I like to be able to insert whatever media I want, with the space to do so

SK13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
Thanks for your replies.

I have a 55 gallon tank with a juvenile flowerhorn in it.

I currently run a 3 yewrs old sunsun canister filter, which sometimes doesnot run properly. So i am thinking of getting a new filter for the tank.

Please suggest some better options.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Thanks for your replies.

I have a 55 gallon tank with a juvenile flowerhorn in it.

I currently run a 3 yewrs old sunsun canister filter, which sometimes doesnot run properly. So i am thinking of getting a new filter for the tank.

Please suggest some better options.
Eheim,,,

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Eheim 2217

Reactions: SK13

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Agree, Eheim is worth the money long term. I have had an Eheim 2217 for 6 years and it's been exceptionally reliable.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Eheim classic canisters have been around forever and there's no disputing their awesomeness. Is one purchased today the same quality as one from 25yrs ago? I'm not sure. For this reason I have a hard time not buying a Sunsun canister for 1/3 the cost. Definitely NOT saying a Sunsun is better, it's just more of a value for me and in 4yrs of using them I've not had a single issue *knock on Chinese plastic*. LOL. I don't believe there's any electro/mechanical product purchased today who's lifespan is going to measured in decades.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store