Is having a glass lid bad with a silver arowana?

shazam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2018
If its an 8" aro I don't think its jump is strong enough quite yet to injure its self in that way.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I have a glass tank with euro-bracing and cross-brace, and I had to add separate glass lids too. The bottom edges have thick felt and I use suction cups with little acrylic cross-posts to prevent the glass lids from lifting too high if my Lei should jump. My Lei will occasionally hurt its mouth/barbels by hitting into the glass. It's hurts me to see/hear sometimes, but it typically heals fine. I prefer that rather than having water everywhere, or worse, a Lei on the floor.

My Lei is around 21-22".

Lsey81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2016
Pittsburgh-ish
It will actually break the glass lids as it gets larger...I'd lower the water level a bit, and get a sheet of that greenhouse roofing I think it's called...cut to fit then drill a hole in one for feeding....I also have my pothos roots dangling in the upper water colum where she hangs out the most and the plants themselves laying atop the lids...my thoery is it gives them a sense of security and no clear line of sight to focus a jump thru...prob wrong but hey it's a theory lol...anyways it will break the glass lids..my silver is about 24in long now and prob broke the glass when she was around 18 in, i have my silver and my jardini tanks setup like this, hope it helps and good luck!

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
It will actually break the glass lids as it gets larger...I'd lower the water level a bit, and get a sheet of that greenhouse roofing I think it's called...cut to fit then drill a hole in one for feeding....I also have my pothos roots dangling in the upper water colum where she hangs out the most and the plants themselves laying atop the lids...my thoery is it gives them a sense of security and no clear line of sight to focus a jump thru...prob wrong but hey it's a theory lol...anyways it will break the glass lids..my silver is about 24in long now and prob broke the glass when she was around 18 in, i have my silver and my jardini tanks setup like this, hope it helps and good luck!
Good idea thanks...I actually dyi plastic lid on my other wolf fish tank which he constantly Rams onto when eating.

Reactions: Lsey81

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I have a glass tank with euro-bracing and cross-brace, and I had to add separate glass lids too. The bottom edges have thick felt and I use suction cups with little acrylic cross-posts to prevent the glass lids from lifting too high if my Lei should jump. My Lei will occasionally hurt its mouth/barbels by hitting into the glass. It's hurts me to see/hear sometimes, but it typically heals fine. I prefer that rather than having water everywhere, or worse, a Lei on the floor.

My Lei is around 21-22".
Have you ever thought of creating a dyi canopy? This way it can jump a bit. if I still have this fish long-term I will create something like that

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Have you ever thought of creating a dyi canopy? This way it can jump a bit. if I still have this fish long-term I will create something like that
Yes, that could work. To be honest, I just prefer the way my tank looks now, and, I think for my situation it would take away form the look of the set-up.

Here's a close-up of my lids. You can see the felt bottom with the suction cups that have the acrylic rod to slow the glass if the Lei should hit it.

upload_2019-2-14_21-41-12.png

Overview:

upload_2019-2-14_21-44-33.png

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Yes, that could work. To be honest, I just prefer the way my tank looks now, and, I think for my situation it would take away form the look of the set-up.

Here's a close-up of my lids. You can see the felt bottom with the suction cups that have the acrylic rod to slow the glass if the Lei should hit it.

View attachment 1360504

Overview:

View attachment 1360505
Understandable that looks very nice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store