Is Heros Rotkeil hybrid?

Theos.dad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2021
Thank you, I'm certain that many hobbyists present & future will benefit from the info supplied by Kevin at TUIC.

Thanks to neutrino neutrino for getting this ball rolling.
Educational is almost an understatement lol. It will definitely help clear up any confusion that may exist from now on. it also furthered my want to purchase from Kevin (we are really blessed with a few good vendors these days). I actually always have a page on my phone open with tuic stock list pulled up. I haven't been able to try them out yet but I'm finally back from a 2 1/2 week vacation and about to finally check them out and see if I can score some terrors from another member! New fish day around the corner

Reactions: BigBeardDaHuZi

svtim

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
The VILLE
Love these fish! I had a breeding pair years ago then kinda left the hobby and gave up my large tanks now this is my first post since and now have 5 grow outs waiting on my 125 gallon. Very good thread and read.

KarensFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2021
When I spoke to someone from the OCA (Ohio Cichlid Association) they said the fish was not a hybrid but just bread for specific coloration.

neutrino

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
When I spoke to someone from the OCA (Ohio Cichlid Association) they said the fish was not a hybrid but just bread for specific coloration.
That's another (and typical) speculative theory, but as explained earlier in this thread, that they're a natural, wild fish has been confirmed by several respected sources-- see video below.

I had (and bred) them in their early days in the hobby, when they were still rare and expensive. It would be very hard to top their natural, wild color without essentially line breeding them into something else, possibly based on a random mutation, like all the derivations of man made gold severums or the original pigeon blood discus. In fact, it's much more likely for sloppy hobbyists or poor breeding practices to water down their natural beauty or produce hybrids with common green severums-- already a problem. I imagine you could attempt to line breed them for more red coverage, and maybe that will happen, but I've yet to see better than a really nice wild or F1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin@TUIC
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store